News-in-brief: Pepper spray task force results to be released Wednesday

The findings from the pepper spray task force are tentatively set for release this Wednesday. The results will be posted on the UC Davis website and there will be a town hall meeting on Wednesday in Freeborn Hall at 3:30 p.m.

The release of the results depends on a hearing that will take place Tuesday regarding an agreement that would allow the results to be released, minus the names of most officers involved, but including Lt. John Pike and former Police Chief Annette Spicuzza.

The pepper spray task force, led by former Associate Supreme Court Justice Cruz Reynoso, was put together by UC President Mark Yudof. The results, slated to be released March 6, were halted due to the Federated University Police Officers Association’s request for a court order to halt the public disclosure of the report.

The Alameda County Superior Court judge ultimately rejected the police union’s arguments, but placed a 21-day stay on the report to allow the union time to appeal his decision.

According to a press release from UC Spokesperson Steve Montiel, the task force and the police union recently jointly asked an Alameda County Superior Court judge to lift the stay, and the task force hopes to release the results this Wednesday.

— Hannah Strumwasser