Arts Week

MONDAVI
Bettye LaVette

Friday, April 13 at 8 p.m., $49/$24.5 (student)
Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center
According to The New York Times, “Ms. LaVette now rivals Aretha Franklin as her generation’s most vital soul singer.” LaVette’s 2010 album re-imagines songs by The Beatles, The Who, Elton John and Eric Clapton. Get ready for a night of a gritty, soulful voice that belongs to Bettye LaVette.

Indian Student Association’s Culture Show 2012: Sunehri Shaam, A Night of Indian Elegance
Saturday, April 14 at 5 p.m. (doors open at 4:30), $20/$15 (student)
Mondavi Center
This evening will celebrate Indian culture and express Indian identity to the campus. Presented by the Indian Student Association, A Night of Indian Elegance highlights traditions through dance and music. The UC Davis a capella group and premier intercollegiate dance teams will also perform to showcase the talents of students that identify with the South Asian community.

Phil Kline’s Zippo Songs: Poems from the Front with Theo Bleckmann
Saturday, April 14 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, April 15 at 2 p.m.
$37/$18.5 (student)
Vanderhoef Studio Theatre Cabaret, Mondavi Center
Part of the Studio Classics at the Mondavi Center, this event shows off the talents of Todd Reynolds (violin), David Cosslin (percussion), Phil Kline (guitar) and Theo Bleckmann (vocals). Inspired by the texts that American GIs engraved on their Zippo lighters in Vietnam, Zippo Songs (2003) is set to music. According to The New Yorker, it’s “one of the most brutally frank song cycles ever penned.”

Explosions in the Sky with Zammuto
Sunday, April 15 at 8 p.m., sold out
Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center

Another Planet Entertainment, working with Entertainment Council, present Explosions in the Sky with Zammuto as the opening performance. Formed in 1999, Explosions in the Sky is the product of three longtime friends from West Texas. Their most recent album, Take Care, Take Care, Take Care, was released in April 2011. Zammuto, the opening performance, will provide an eclectic combination of natural and unnatural sounds.

ART/GALLERY

Owen Glass Trunk Show
Friday, April 13, 4 to 9 p.m., free
The Wardrobe, 206 E Street
Working together with Davis’ Downtown Art About, The Wardrobe presents a Spring Trunk Show featuring a Bay Area jewelry artist named Emeline Owen. Music will be provided by The Sound of Fashion featuring DJ Emily French. The Owen Glass Collection was founded in 1972 by Owen’s father and contains rare class from the Deco Era, circa 1920 to 1930. Some pieces were made in Czechoslovakia, Bavaria, Wattens, Kobe and Milano, while others are made of old and new glass.

MUSIC

Sacramento Choral Society and Orchestra: English Grandeur
Saturday, April 14 at 8 p.m., $55/$45/$35/half-off (student ID)
Community Center Theatre, 1301 L Street, Sacramento
In a tribute to the English Romantic Tradition, the Sacramento Choral Society and Orchestra presents Belshazzar’s Feast. With special guests such as the Sacramento Children’s Chorus, Lynn Stevens and Clayton Brainerd, the night will be filled with the “epic work of enormous passion, sensitivity and unparalleled drama.”

FILM

Davis Feminist Film Festival
Thursday, April 12 and Friday, April 13 at 6 p.m.
$5-15 sliding scale for presale, $10 (student) at door
Veterans Memorial Center Theatre, 203 E. 14th Street
The Consortium for Women and Research presents a grassroots festival of short films from around the world. This film festival features issues and perspectives that are often ignored by the mainstream media.