Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the April 12, 2012 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 6:14 p.m.
Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, present, arrived late, left early
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, present
Jared Crisologo-Smith, ASUCD senator, present
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Justin Goss, ASUCD senator, present
Annamaria Kimball, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, present
Erica Padgett, ASUCD senator, present, arrived late, left early
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present
Patrick Sheehan, ASUCD senator, present
Yara Zokaie, ASUCD senator, present

Consideration of old legislation
Senate Bill 98, authored by Alperin, co-authored by Bae, Barnett, Bottoms, Kapur, Kimball, Lipp, Padgett, Sterling and Stone, introduced by Kimball, to allocate $1,358 from Senate Reserves to TEDxUCDavis for the second annual TEDxUCDavis conference on May 19. Sheehan said he was hesitant about spending so much ASUCD money on what he was concerned would be a one-time expense. Kapur was concerned that since the senate didn’t have a letter from Club Finance Council (CFC), they would have to suspend the bylaws to see the bill as it was. Kimball and Padgett stated that the issues senators were concerned about should have been brought up during commission meetings so that the authors could have had sufficient time to amend the language. The bill passed unanimously after authors had amended the language to address the concerns the senators brought up.

Senate Bill 99, authored by McManus, co-authored by Cano and introduced by Kapur, to clarify the structure of the Special Committee on Student Health and Wellness, passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 87, authored and introduced by Kimball, co-authored by Donnelley, Sandstrom and Lu, to allocate $933.22 from Senate Reserves to fund the Davis Volunteer and Service Fair, passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 89, authored by Crisologo-Smith, co-authored by Alday, Anguiano, Atienza, Bonaparte, Borgonia, Brown, Bush, Cano, Crisologo, Espinoza, Diaz-Ordaz, Goss, Ilano, Joanino, King, Link, Lumban, Marquez, A. Martin, M. Martín, Montelongo, Oka, Rombi, Sagala, Sheehan, Soriano, Torres, Truong, Turkell and Wren, introduced by Crisologo-Smith, Link and Stone, to increase the amount of funds available in the “CCC/LGBTRC Community-Specific Ceremonies” line item in the 2011-2012 Grants Budget. Sheehan wanted to limit debate to 25 minutes but the motion failed. Senators Gilbert, Min, Han and Bottoms and Controller Maemura wanted a budget breakdown of how the money would be spent. Bottoms said that he would like to speak to Student Affairs and request even more money for the program but not until he received quotes from the various graduations about the budget breakdown. Goss asked what was stopping Bottoms from voting yes and that the table should vote yes in order to represent all the students who showed up to the meeting in support of this bill. A member of the public asked Gilbert to defend his no vote when they divided the house since he had stated as part of his platform that he wanted to support underrepresented students. He answered that he felt like he needed more information before he could decide. Mayra Martín also asked Gilbert to defend his position. Min stated that he viewed the bill as a spending bill while Crisologo-Smith stated that he viewed it as a policy bill. Min said that he was entitled to his viewpoint and that if Anguiano and Goss could convince him that it was a policy bill, he would change his no vote to a yes. Bottoms said that his goal and the reason for his no vote is because he wants to institutionalize the funding within Student Affairs. Link said that even if people are saying they’re not voting against ethnic grads because they want better ethnic grads, that by voting no, they are voting against ethnic grads. Former senator Tatiana Bush encouraged senators who wanted to work for better ethnic grads to work with her after passing the bill. She added that they had already spoken with Student Affairs and they couldn’t receive any more money. Cano clarified that this was a policy bill due to the way the bill was written. Zokaie said it was arrogant to think that they knew more than the experts since the Business and Finance Commission had unanimously voted yes. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 95, authored by Martin and introduced by Kimball, to renew the Special Committee on Aggie Bound Outreach for an additional year, passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 97, authored by Gopal, co-authored by Sterling and Padgett and introduced by Padgett, to allocate $5,000 for safety improvements of the UC Davis Athletics 1973 Crown Pumper Fire Engine. Sheehan suggested asking Unitrans to fix it instead of giving it to an outside source. Sterling said it would be too difficult under a time crunch to ask already hard-working students to work on this project. The bill passed with a 9-2-1. Anguiano abstained and Goss and Sheehan voted no.

Senate Bill 96, authored and introduced by Goss, co-authored by Kapur, Azari, Sheehan, Cano, Harms, Coronado-Moses, to institutionalize correspondence between ASUCD and the other University of California student governments, was tabled.

Senate Bill 94, authored and introduced by the Internal Affairs Commission, co-authored by Goss, to restructure Chapter Thirteen, Guidelines of Ethics, passed unanimously.

Meeting adjourned at 2:52 a.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. AKSHAYA RAMANUJAM compiles the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.