Lacrosse Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Stanford, UC Davis vs. Fresno State

Records: Aggies 5-8 (2-3); Cardinal 4-8 (2-2); Bulldogs 2-10 (0-5)

Where: Aggie Stadium

When: Wednesday at 7 p.m.; Saturday at 4 p.m.

Who to watch: The Aggies are a young team and as such they have required many players to progress faster than normal. The play of the freshmen on the team has been a pleasant surprise as young players are making impacts on games.

Freshman midfielder Elizabeth Landry has been one of the biggest contributors so far this season.

The Lafayette, Calif. native is second on the team with 28 goals and has also tallied four assists.

Did you know? UC Davis’ widest winning margin last season came in its match-up with Fresno State. The Aggies outscored the Bulldogs 21-5 in the match, with then-sophomore Anna Geissbuhler scoring five goals.

Preview: The UC Davis lacrosse team has been on a tough four-game losing streak, with three of those defeats coming at the hands of Mountain Pacific Sports Federation foes.

Conference play continues on to this week as the Aggies will face off against Stanford and Fresno State, both at home in Aggie Stadium.

UC Davis will first match up with Stanford, who currently sits in fourth place in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation, half a game ahead of the fifth-place Aggies. Since the top four teams are guaranteed a spot in the MPSF tournament, and UC Davis has just these final two conference matches remaining, a win over Stanford would be a big step for the Aggies in their attempt to qualify for postseason play.

“Stanford is another tough team,” said Coach Elaine Jones. “They have big, fast, athletics kids so we need to be smarter about finishing our possessions and not letting them finish theirs.”

— JASON MIN