Track and Field preview

Event: Woody Wilson Classic; Mt. SAC Relays

Where: Toomey Field and Woody Wilson Track; Hilmer Lodge Stadium — Walnut, Calif.

When: Friday, April 20; Saturday, April 21

Who to watch: Sophomore Hosea Tate was a member of the UC Davis 4X400m relay team that took first place last week with a time of 3:15.21.

Tate also placed fourth in the 200m dash.

Did you know? The Woody Wilson Classic is a popular Picnic Day tradition. It is the Aggies’ last home meet of the year and is one of their last chances to prepare for the Big West Conference Championship meet.

This weekend’s meet will feature collegiate competition as well as events for high schoolers and unattached athletes.

Admission is free but spectators are advised to arrive early because seating is limited.

Preview: The Woody Wilson Classic features all of the standard track and field events, giving the Aggies a chance to keep their hot streak alive.

UC Davis produced a number of season and personal bests during last weekend’s meet and Head Coach Drew Wartenburg hopes to see them stay sharp through the final leg of the season.

In order for the Aggies to continue winning the team titles, they need to have an all-around team effort.

“In a scored meet, the bottom line is just that — points scored,” Wartenburg said.

The track side of the meet will be spearheaded by several talented relay squads and individual sprinters.

UC Davis’ women can expect to dominate the 1,500m run after sophomore Alycia Cridebring won the event last weekend with a time of 4:28.11. Three other Aggies joined Cridebring in the top eight for that event.

Another event to see will be the men’s 800m run. Sophomore Nathan Strum and freshman Trevor Ehlenbach closed for an exciting one-two finish at last week’s meet.

Aggie fans can also look forward to some competitive field events this weekend.

Senior Ethan Ostrum is consistently a standout for the Aggies and he proved it last weekend after he grabbed the only field victory for UC Davis by clearing 5.0m in the pole vault.

Sophomore Brandon Greenberg was also a standout last Sunday, capturing the first-place title in shot put after casting a 16.94m shot put.

The Woody Wilson Classic will be an excellent opportunity for Aggie fans to watch their track and field team stack up against some stiff division rivals. It is the team’s last home meet of the season and it is expected to be a blast.

— KIM CARR