Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Lacrosse Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. St. Mary’s

Records: Aggies 5-10 (2-5); Gaels 3-11 (1-6)

Where: Aggie Stadium

When: Tuesday at 2 p.m.

Who to watch: The first time the Aggies played St. Mary’s this year, junior Elizabeth Datino scored six goals and had three assists.

Datino has been leading the Aggies as of late, tallying 15 points over the last three games.

Datino’s strongest performance came against Stanford where she tallied nine points with five assists and four goals of her own. The Centennial, Colo. native also had three goals and an assist against Denver and seeks to continue her hot streak into the final game of the year.

Did you know? UC Davis is playing St. Mary’s for the second time this season after a 16-13 victory earlier in the year.

The Aggies have dominated St. Mary’s recently, winning their past eight matchups, but the contests aren’t as one-sided as they appear. Five of the victories were by less than three points.

Preview: The UC Davis Lacrosse team has been struggling down the stretch, but hopes to end its season on a high note with a victory over Mountain Pacific Sports Federation opponent St. Mary’s.

Currently on a six-game skid, the Aggies are still suffering from the close loss against Stanford that eliminated them from the MPSF tournament.

“The Stanford game really took a lot out of us,” said Coach Elaine Jones. “We are looking for another chance to show that we are the team that can play the same as we did against Stanford.”

After the Stanford game, the Aggies’ woes continued as they dropped a disappointing game to Fresno State. UC Davis will now try to snap its losing streak against the Gaels, who recently lost to Stanford as well.

Although it is a game between two MPSF schools, the matchup will have no bearing on the conference standings, as only the first matchup between the Aggies and Gaels counts as an MPSF match. The game will be played an hour earlier than scheduled and will take place at 2 p.m. at Aggie Stadium.

– JASON MIN