Wednesday, March 27, 2024

News-in-brief: Davis Dozen arraignment moved to May 10

The arraignment of 11 students and one professor who allegedly initiated the closing of U.S. Bank on the university campus has been continued to May 10.

On Friday, over 50 people were present for the arraignment at Yolo County Superior Court in Woodland. Due of the size of the courtroom, about half could not gain access to it.

Many supporters of Occupy UC Davis wore shirts that read “Free the Davis Dozen.”

The group is being charged with over 20 counts of obstructing movement in a public place, which is grounds for up to six months in prison, as well as conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of one year. According to the Yolo County District Attorney’s office a plea deal will be offered. Should they plead guilty they would receive a sentence of 80 hours of community service.

In a press release issued Friday, Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi and Provost Ralph J. Hexter said the University is adhering to their obligation to ensure that the rights of one person or party do not interfere with that of another’s.

“We fully expect the district attorney and his staff to balance the rights of all the parties involved and to pursue remedies that are appropriate, fair-minded and just in the full context of what occurred on this campus,” stated the release. “… We have every expectation that the students involved in this case will learn from this experience and as they do, will apply their energy and passion in positive and productive ways.”

– MUNA SADEK