UC Davis falls to rival

Losing to Sacramento State is never fun, but UC Davis’ bus still carried a lot of winners back over the Causeway Friday night.

Although the Hornets topped the Aggies in points, UC Davis’ men and women claimed nine event wins apiece during the Causeway Classic Track and Field Duals.

The women were bested 102-86 but juniors Kayla Carter and Melanise Chapman managed to produce some highlights for Aggie fans.

Carter blazed through the 100m hurdles, finishing first with a time of 13.6s. She followed that up with another first place performance in the 400m hurdles with a time of 1:00.73 — good for third in UC Davis history. Sophomore Kellie Grigg joined Carter in the 400m hurdles and the two combined for a 1-2 Aggie finish.

As usual, the Aggies could depend on senior Sarah Sumpter to walk away with an award. She dominated the 3,000m for UC Davis, finishing in a time of 9:33.40 which beat former Aggie Kim Conley’s meet record by 12s. The feat also earned Sumpter the fourth place slot on the Aggies’ all-time list for the event. Sumpter was trailed by sophomore Kristine Lozoy who came in third for the Aggies.

UC Davis’ women also earned a win from freshman Katie Barber in the high jump who cleared 1.66m to claim the victory.

Senior Lauren Radke continues to dominate the women’s pole vault. She won again on Friday after clearing 3.80m. Fellow senior Ashley Hearn joined Radke in the winner’s circle after placing first in the discus.

UC Davis’ men were busy at work as well.

Sophomore Nathan Strum continued to standout for the Aggies, claiming victories in the 800 and 1,500m on Friday. He finished his 1,500m in 3:50.37 which broke the meet record set by teammate and standout, senior Jonathan Peterson.

Freshman Trevor Ehlenbach was hot on Strum’s heels during the 800m, claiming another 1-2 finish for UC Davis.

Other Aggie winners included freshmen Corey Hobbs who won the 100m and Jason Chandler who closed the 400m in a time of 48.36s. Sophomore Karl Moran won the 400m hurdles and senior Robert Neely claimed the long jump after clearing 6.97m. Seniors Igor Seriba and Ethan Ostrum also pulled in wins for UC Davis after taking first in the triple jump and pole vault respectively.

The men’s 4X400m relay closed the meet and brought the last win for the Aggies.

“We [had] some folks really step up and perform well,” said head coach Drew Wartenburg.

“You like to have performances that are getting toward peak levels at season’s end.”

KIM CARR can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.