Thirsty (for knowledge) Thursdays: Cool study spots

Looking for an interesting place to study while on campus? With over 5,500 acres of grassy fields and buildings, there are numerous known locations to spend an afternoon hitting the books — if you know where to look.

If you’re like most Davis students, you’re probably on a tight schedule during the day and you often need to multitask eating and studying. Look no further than Griffin Lounge in the Memorial Union (MU), conveniently located adjacent to the ASUCD Coffee House (CoHo). Furnished with many tables and a classy fireplace, Griffin Lounge is an excellent place to study while grabbing meals and is separate from the bustle and noise of the rest of the MU.

When the weather is as nice as it’s been this past week, you may feel cooped up studying indoors. Luckily, the East and West Quads offer plenty of space for spreading out with your books, computer and friends, with the added benefits of vitamin D and fresh air.

The Student Community Center (SCC), recently opened to students, offers a wide array of study spots, from the tables outside CoHo South and inside the main lobby to the comfy armchairs tucked around the corners of the second floor. The SCC, while not as large as the CoHo, has the benefit of being far quieter while still providing delicious food.

While the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC) isn’t generally thought of as a place for students to log study hours, it can be an excellent place to hit the books in addition to hitting the gym. Located on the first floor, behind the athletic shop, is a large study lounge for those seeking an extra-quiet environment; in addition, comfortable armchairs line the hallways leading to the ARC Ballroom. There’s also a small courtyard with a few benches that are perfect for some reading.

Last, but certainly not least, is Shields Library, doubtless the most popular study spot on campus, and for good reason. Shields offers by far the most space to study, with multiple floors of desks, stacks and private study rooms — all in total silence.

When you’re on campus and looking to cram before a midterm or catch up on reading before class, no matter where you are, you’ll be able to find a comfortable place to study, whether out in the warm Davis sunshine or in the quiet corners of a building.

The Academic Affairs Commission (AAC) is an advisory board to the ASUCD Senate on all academic matters at UC Davis and throughout the UC system. Each week the AAC will give you tips about academic success!