Senate Briefs

This ASUCD Senate meeting was scheduled to begin Thursday at 5:15 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the May 3, 2012 meeting location, the Mee Room in the MU. The ASUCD president is not required to attend senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 5:17 p.m.
Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, present, arrived late, left early
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, present
Jared Crisologo-Smith, ASUCD senator, present
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Justin Goss, ASUCD senator, present
Anni Kimball, ASUCD senator, present
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, present
Erica Padgett, ASUCD senator, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present
Patrick Sheehan, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present
Yara Zokaie, ASUCD senator, present

Appointments and Confirmations
Josh Oelfat was appointed to City and County Affairs.

Presentations
Don Ho said Creative Media is trying to add three new programmers and graphic designers, which would cost Creative Media $31,000. They are also looking to new ways to bring in income. He said they are working on the branding of ASUCD. He said they were thinking about pooling the publicity line items from other units together to get the $31,000.

A representative from Aggie Pack gave a presentation on the unit. Goss asked why the Aggie Pack Firetruck was not completely fixed by Picnic Day, as the senate table had been promised.

Executive director UCSA Matt Haney and president of UCSA Claudia Magana gave a presentation on the group. They discussed the history and the goals of UCSA along with its victories over the past couple of years. They mentioned that the day of action will be May 17 in Sacramento and they have been meeting with the UC Office of the President regularly. They summarized their projects and goals for this year. Internal Affairs Commission Chair Sergio Cano asked what they wanted Davis to do in relation to their presentation. Haney said that ultimately they would like Davis to re-join UCSA, but that all Davis students are invited to lobby with UCSA whenever they would like.

Unit Director Reports
Madeline Soriano, director of Cal Aggie Camp, said training weekend was last weekend. She said that they have 46 new staff this year. She said they are more than halfway full for campers.

Public Discussion
Wendy Lu said that the ASUCD Fair is on Wednesday.

Crisologo Smith said he does not think budget hearings should be held on Whole Earth Festival weekend and that it would be rude to do to WEF coordinators — especially because WEF is an ASUCD unit.

Controller Melanie Maemura said that this conversation was taking away from the importance of budget hearings and that Budget Hearings unfortunately had to be scheduled for that weekend so senators would have enough time to discuss the budget.

Meeting adjourned at 12:43 a.m.
Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu.

HANNAH STRUMWASSER compiles the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.