UC Davis battle winds in Sac

With only one week left until the Big West Conference Championships the Aggies knew it was important to find their stride this weekend.

Despite the winds, UC Davis’ athletes combined for two wins and 12 second place finishes overall.

Freshman Raquel Lambdin represented the Aggie women in the winner’s circle this Saturday after spearheading a 1-2 Aggie finish in the 800m. Lambdin finished in 2:11.57 — a season best for the Camarillo, California native. She was trailed by sophomore teammate  Melinda Zavala who finished in 2:11.78 — a season best time as well.

Several other women claimed runner-up titles this weekend. Junior Melanise Chapman claimed second place in the 100m sprint — finishing in 11.59s. Freshman Ashley Marshall placed fifth in the 100m with a time of 11.95s. Fellow freshman Cekarri Nixon impressed in the 200m — finishing second with a time of 24.42s.

Senior Tonie Williams placed second in the 400m after finishing in 56.83s. Junior Kayla Carter grabbed another runner-up title in the 100 hurdles. Senior Lauren Radke continued her hot streak in the pole vault, finishing second after clearing 3.85m, while freshman Katie Barber nabbed another second place title in the high jump with a mark of 1.67m.

Sophomore Brandon Greenberg joined Lambdin in the winner’s circle for the Aggies. He tied for first in shot-put at a mark of 16.33m. Saturday’s performance earned him his second win of the season.

Other Aggie men posted strong performances as well. Junior Kaio Sena finished fifth in the 100m posting a time of 10.92s. Freshman Corey Hobbs had another strong performance for the Aggies finishing 3rd in the 200m.

Junior Evarardo Villalobos claimed one of the second place finishes for the men in the 400m with a time of 50.33s. Sophomore Alexander Summers grabbed a runner-up finish in the 5,000m finishing in 15:29.58. Junior Michael Peterson nabbed the last second place title for the Aggie men in the pole vault after clearing 4.90m; tying his season best performance.

The Aggies head down to Irvine, California next weekend to close out their season at the Big West Conference Championship meet. Head coach Drew Wartenburg was impressed with his team this weekend.
“Despite steady winds all day we had a number of people simply put their heads down and compete,” he said. “Performances from people like Cekarri Nixon… indicate that we’re beginning to add more depth to our travel squad at exactly the right time.”
KIM CARR can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.