Track and Field Preview

Event: Big West Championships
Where: Anteater Stadium — Irvine, Calif.
When:  Friday and Saturday, all day
Who to watch: Freshman Raquel Lambdin posted a phenomenal performance at the Sacramento State Open.

She led a close 1-2 Aggie finish in the 800-meter run, posting a season-best time of 2:11.57. It is the third fastest time for the Aggies season and allowed her to edge fellow teammate Melinda Zavala in the race.

Did you know? Last year in the 2011 Big West Championships at Cal State Northridge the UC Davis men were in third after the first day while the Aggie women were in fourth.

The following day, the Aggie men placed second and the women third at Big West. The athletes posted strong performances as they claimed six individual championships and posted numerous groundbreaking results.

Preview: The Aggies begin their quest to post high results in this year’s Big West Championship at Anteater stadium this weekend.

The Aggies have been consistently posting strong performances at previous meets, the most recent of which was at Sacramento State. Although the Aggies did not come away with a victory, the athletes’ showings appear to be promising in the future.

“We did have some folks really step up and perform well,” said coach Drew Wartenburg. “So you have to like the performances that are getting toward peak levels at season’s end.”

The UC Davis track and field team demonstrates versatility in many of the events that will be featured on Saturday. At the Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational, Jonathon Peterson broke his own school record in the 5,000-meter run, while Alycia Cridebring had a career-best effort in the 1,500.

Following the conference championships the Aggies will wait for the announcement of the NCAA Regional field.

— Veena Bansal