Senate briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the May 10 meeting location, the Wall Hall meeting room at Tercero. The ASUCD president is not required to attend senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 6:10 p.m.

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, present
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present, left early at 12:06  a.m.
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, present, arrived late at 6:17 p.m.
Jared Crisologo-Smith, ASUCD senator, absent
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Justin Goss, ASUCD senator, present
Anni Kimball, ASUCD senator, present
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, present
Erica Padgett, ASUCD senator, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present, arrived late at 6:20 p.m.
Patrick Sheehan, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present
Yara Zokaie, ASUCD senator, present

Presentations
Various groups attended to give presentations on why their organizations should receive funds during the budget hearings that took place Friday to Sunday.

Sherri Atkinson represented the LGBTRC and explained the lack of funding for SAFE Zone. ASUCD funds sponsored LGBTRC events with $1,500 per week.

Sydney Kofford, a representative from Safe Boats, explained that along with fundraised money, grants from ASUCD would assist in staffing boats with EMTs to tend to student medical attention during houseboat trips. This is also funded through student fees.

Steven Baissa, Director of the Cross Cultural Center (CCC) presented the need for grants so that the CCC could continue to provide programs such as the REACH Retreat, Black Family Week and Native American Culture Day, as well as to continue to recruit and support students of various cultures. Students also contributed to the presentation by addressing how budget cuts to the CCC would impact students.

Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) expressed a censure in senators signing a resolution with the title of ‘senator’ in support of the United States of America-Israel relationship and requested a formal apology. ASUCD President Rebecca Sterling said that all senator signatures that were placed on the document would be removed as it violates ASUCD policy that forbids the utilization of the ‘senator’ title in matters unaffiliated with ASUCD. Some senators and Vice President Bae also apologized for the use of the senator title.

Upward Bound (UB) lobbied for more funds to benefit students and help them succeed in college. UB is a federal program that is funded in-part by the US Department of Education and has helped students apply to college through introducing them to college application and financial aid workshops.

Edward Yoo urged for the approval of  various resolutions that are approved by newly elected Police Chief Matt Carmichael to improve police activity on campus and police policy and procedure  and communication between the police departments and university constituents. Senators also addressed re-evaluating the WarnMe system notifications.

Britney Garzaniti expressed her liking of cultural days and urged for more information on allocation of senate reserves together in a public location and for more transparency in budget allocations.

Former ASUCD Controller Don Ho presented the negative sides of pre-treating t-shirts so that white ink can adhere to colored shirts and the benefits of purchasing a necessary heat press for ASUCD unit, Aggie Threads.

Appointments and confirmations
Daniel Connor was confirmed as Student Police Relations Commissioner. This position aims to improve the relationship between students and campus police officers.

Consideration of old legislation
Senate Bill 108, introduced by Bottoms, to allocate $4,349.99 from Campus Copies/Classical Notes equipment reserves to purchase necessary equipment for Aggie Threads to buy a pretreatment machine for higher quality shirts and to begin producing a greater amount of shirts. The bill passed unanimously.

Public discussion
Goss was elected to serve as a temporary protemp when Bae, stepped out.

Internal Affairs Commission Chair Sergio Cano proposed that all senate presentations that may run over 20 minutes should need to be approved three days ahead of the scheduled date.

Public announcements
There will be a UCSA-Regents meeting in Sacramento. Regents announced the option of a 60 percent budget hike. The meeting will take place at the capitol on May 16, 17 and 18.

Sterling announced the partnership between Creative Media and various ASUCD units to make advancements on their functionality and marketing.  Units such as Experimental College, Entertainment Council, Bike Barn, Classical Notes and the Elections committee have confirmed their interest in the proposal.

Padgett announced that The Pantry will be giving away 50 bags of groceries to students.

Sheehan announced that he and interns are making progress on the “A+” legislation.

Meeting adjourned at 12:36 a.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. MUNA SADEK compiled the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.