Senate briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the May 17 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 11:50 p.m.
6:10 p.m. to 11:49 p.m. was the continuation of budget hearings.

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, absent
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, present
Jared Crisologo-Smith, ASUCD senator, present
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Justin Goss, ASUCD senator, present
Anni Kimball, ASUCD senator, present
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, present
Erica Padgett, ASUCD senator, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present
Patrick Sheehan, ASUCD senator, present
Yara Zokaie, ASUCD senator, present

Consideration of old legislation
Senate resolution 26, authored and introduced by Crisologo-Smith, co-authored by Torres, to condemn discriminatory marriage laws in the State of California. The resolution was tabled.

Senate resolution 27, authored by chief of staff, to the president, Sabrina Dias, co-authored and introduced by Kapur, to support the recommendations given by the Reynoso Task Force. The resolution was tabled.

Senate resolution 28, authored by Dias, co-authored and introduced by Kapur, to commend and appreciate members of the Reynoso Task Force, passed unanimously.

Senate resolution 29, authored and introduced by Goss, co-authored by Bottoms, Kimball, Sheehan and Padgett, opposing the compulsory purchase of Aggie Cash by incoming UC Davis first-year students, passed unanimously.

Senate bill 106, authored by Internal Affairs Commission chair, Sergio Cano, co-authored by Dias and introduced by Min, to allocate $490.25 from Senate reserves to purchase ASUCD graduation stoles for the class of 2012, passed 8-1-3.

Senate bill 109, authored and introduced by Goss, to allocate $126.00 for Aggies @ the Pub: Trivia Night, passed 11-0-1.

Consideration of urgent legislation
An urgent senate bill, authored and introduced by the External Affairs Commission, co-authored by Hawe and Miller, to award the ASUCD Lobby Corps Legislator of the Year Award to Speaker John A. Pérez, for his commitment to higher education, passed unanimously.

Meeting adjourned at 1:45 a.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. ROHIT RAVIKUMAR compiled the senate briefs. He can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.