Aggie Public Arts Committee showcases artwork on campus

Art work abounds throughout campus thanks to the Aggie Public Arts Committee.

The Aggie Public Arts Committee (APAC) is an ASUCD unit that works to encourage and install publicly displayed art throughout the UC Davis campus and the Davis community.

“The committee contributes to the cultural enrichment of the UCD student body by adding art to public spaces that is aesthetically pleasing, thought-provoking, visually stimulating and of enduring value,” said senior community and regional development major and APAC’s committee chair Deborah Schrimmer.

One of these public spaces is the ASUCD Coffee House. The Juried CoHo Art Show was created in 2011 in order to both showcase the works of student artists and to bring art into an otherwise art-less space.

“The CoHo receives a lot of foot traffic, and the Aggie Public Arts Committee noticed the absence of art in its facilities,” Schrimmer said. “We sought to activate a high-traffic but overlooked corridor on our campus. We implemented a juried art show that allows students of any background to submit. Pieces are selected by the committee, then displayed for a quarter. We pride ourselves in spotlighting the talent of the entire student body, not just art or design majors.”

Displayed art pieces have included photography, screenprinting, paintings, charcoal drawings and mixed media.

“APAC plays a significant role in improving the aesthetic quality of our campus,” said sophomore mathematics and political science double major and ASUCD senator Patrick Sheehan, who acts as a liaison between APAC and ASUCD.

Most recently, APAC repainted the faded Aggie Pride murals within the bike circles that can be found throughout campus.

“The Aggie Pride murals were in desperate need of a facelift, and we’re trying to paint as many of them as we can,” Schrimmer said. “This project speaks to our commitment to campus beautification and aesthetics.”

Senior landscape architecture and APAC member Brenna Jones agreed.

“The committee’s goal is simply to bring art to campus and make it a more beautiful place,” Jones said. “We have brought art to walls that were empty, and we have also fixed up existing art on campus.”

According to Jones, APAC is in the process of bringing artwork to the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC). In addition, the committee plans to paint the inside of the bike tunnel that runs beneath La Rue Road with Aggie blue and gold stripes.

Currently, APAC is seeking new members for 2012-13. Students who are interested should contact aggiepublicartscommittee@gmail.com.

STEPHANIE B. NGUYEN can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.