Thursday, May 2, 2024

Police brief: Police altercation ends in Tasering of student

The Davis Police Department is investigating the Tasering of a male UC Davis student that occurred on May 23 at 2225 Glacier Drive.

Police said the Tasering was in response to the student resisting arrest after being involved in a physical altercation with a female student around 10 p.m. that night, a police press release stated.

Officers said that after the male student was handcuffed, he managed to get the handcuffs off in the back seat of the patrol vehicle. He then allegedly kicked open the rear door and pushed and punched an officer in the face. The police proceeded to subdue the student with a Taser. He was subsequently transported to the Yolo County Jail.

Police said despite numerous requests for the female student to keep her distance and not interfere with the male student, she placed herself in close proximity to the struggle. She was arrested, then released with a citation for interfering with police officers.

According to the press release, a review of the force used and an internal investigation into policy compliance are underway. The police said they have an audio and partial video recordings of the incident.

Internal investigators will analyze all available evidence and information to provide as complete a picture as possible of this incident, the release stated. The police urge witnesses to provide additional information and/or video recordings to the Professional Standards Unit of the police department at (530) 747-5400 to enhance the fact-gathering process.

— Angela Swartz