Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the May 24 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 6:13 p.m.

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, present, arrived at 8:20 p.m.
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, present
Jared Crisologo-Smith, ASUCD senator, present, arrived late at 6:20
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Justin Goss, ASUCD senator, present
Anni Kimball, ASUCD senator, present
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, present
Erica Padgett, ASUCD senator, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present
Patrick Sheehan, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present
Yara Zokaie, ASUCD senator, present

Presentations
Sergio Cano, chair of the Internal Affairs Commission, presented a PowerPoint on the ASUCD election codes. He covered campaign finances and election violations and briefly presented past elections records.

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, presented information on a matching campaign for scholarships.

Appointments and confirmations
Emily Alice Gerhart was confirmed as the External Affairs Commission Chair.

Joshua Coronado-Moses, Roman Rivilis, Eric Renslo and Joshua Herskovitz were confirmed to the Internal Affairs Commission.

Unit director reports
Jason Alpert, editor in chief at The California Aggie, announced that the new editor in chief is Janelle Bitker. Hannah Strumwasser is the new managing editor. The Aggie has already hired a new ad manager and business manager.

Andrew Florio, executive producer at Aggie TV, said there are over 2 million views on the YouTube channel and they have produced over 100 videos. As of today, they are working a deal with the UC Davis Bookstore to play their videos in the store. The Davis In A Day film  is to be released on June 8.

Rosa Gonzalez, director of The Pantry, said The Pantry has been doing well, and is currently looking at applicants for next year’s staff. The Pantry will be open during the summer.

Consideration of old legislation
Senate Bill 111, authored by Cano, introduced by Goss, to amend the presentations and public discussions process for the ASUCD Senate. Cano said Internal Affairs thought this bill made the senate a lot more efficient. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 113, authored by Cano, introduced by Sheehan, to establish yielding remainder of speaker’s time guidelines. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Resolution 26, authored by Crisologo-Smith, co-authored by Torres and introduced by Crisologo-Smith, to condemn discriminatory marriage laws in the State of California. In a 9-3-0 vote the resolution was referred to the ASUCD Court. Crisologo-Smith, Anguiano and Zokaie voted no.

Senate Resolution 27, authored by Sabrina Dias, co-authored and introduced by Kapur, in support of the recommendations given by the Reynoso Task Force concerning actions taken against protesters on Nov. 18, 2011 on the UC Davis campus. In a 4-4-4 vote, Bae broke the tie and the resolution passed. Gilbert, Goss, Sheeban and Min voted no. Han, Crisologo-Smith, Anguiano and Zokaie abstained.

Public discussion
Caitlin Alday said she would not support Senate Resolution 26. Alday said it’s a matter of priorities and legalizing same-sex marriage is only a small part. Alday suggested something that prioritizes most marginalized communities, and she hoped the Senate listens more to GASC.

Padgett said that ASUCD did not have the right to tell students how to feel about gay marriage.

Crisologo-Smith said he didn’t want to comment on marriage itself, but that the nature of the discrimination is wrong.

Sergio Cano said that he doesn’t think the Senate should be taking a stance on issues like this.

Public announcements
Edward Montelongo announced Empowering Voices is Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room.

Meeting adjourned at 9:14 p.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. MICHELLE MURPHY compiled the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.