Senate briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the May 31 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 6:13 p.m.

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, present
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, present
Jared Crisologo-Smith, ASUCD senator, present, arrived late at 9:10 p.m.
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Justin Goss, ASUCD senator, present
Anni Kimball, ASUCD senator, present
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, present
Erica Padgett, ASUCD senator, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present
Patrick Sheehan, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present
Yara Zokaie, ASUCD senator, present

Presentations
Former ASUCD Senator Brendan Repicky explained why senators should vote “yes” on Proposition 29, which would enforce a one dollar tax on cigarette packs that would go toward funding cancer research. He also thanked some ASUCD senators for donations toward Camp Kesem, a camp for children who have or had parents with cancer, by bringing members of the Band-Uh! to play a tune for them.

Appointments and confirmations
Wilson Cheng, Daniel Quintana, Ashley Chang and Danielle Lee were confirmed as Outreach Assembly members.

Rylan Schaeffer was confirmed as Business and Finance Commission chair.

Chucha (Jose) Marquez was confirmed as Gender and Sexuality Commission chair.

Jonathan Wu was confirmed as Picnic Day director.

Karan Singh was confirmed as Lobby Corps director.

Kate Caldarazzo was confirmed as Outreach Assembly speaker.

Sergio Cano was confirmed as Internal Affairs Commission (IAC) chair.

Quincy Katon was confirmed as The Pantry director.

Unit director reports
Eddie Truong, director of Refrigerator Services, explained the unit’s goal to create an accountability system that would utilize student accounts when renting out refrigerators.  One of the unit’s long-term goals is to have refrigerators in all dorm rooms.

Consideration of old legislation
Senate Bill 114, authored by Goss, to establish the creation of the ASUCD unit, Aggie Threads. The unit would provide custom apparel to students and printing job opportunities. The bill passed in a 11-0-1 vote.

Senate Bill 115 authored by Sterling, is a bill that would enact the Association’s operational budget for the 2012-13 fiscal year. The bill passed 9-3-0.

Senate Bill 116, authored by Cano and Senate bill 117, authored by the Internal Affairs Commission, to restructure Chapter Seven and Chapter Eight of the ASUD bylaws, respectively. The bills passed unanimously.

Sterling vetoed Senate Bill 106, a bill that would allocate $52.38 from   Senate Reserves to purchase ASUCD graduation stoles for any member that has served the Association for a minimum of six quarters or any elected official. She stated that it was an inappropriate allocation of student fees and that she had an ethical objection to passing the bill. Because Sterling, did not sign the bill yet, the table voted to override the veto.

Consideration of urgent legislation
Senate Resolution 25, authored by External Affairs Commission Chair Carly Sandstrom, to honor Sharon Coulson for her services to the ASUCD Coffee House, passed unanimously.

Public discussion
Gilbert expressed concerns over properly compensating Aggie Threads director, Ryan Hagens, when discussing Senate Bill 114.

Meeting adjourned at 12:14 a.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. MUNA SADEK compiled the senate brief. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.