The summer in music:

In roughly one week it will be summer for Davis students and most of the UC system, which for many of us means  summer plans, summer fun and summer concerts. Yes, music will be in the air throughout California — it will be prominent and some festival you won’t be able to attend will dictate the topic of your friend’s conversation longer than you’d probably prefer.

Just this weekend, the Electric Daisy Carnival (EDC) will kick things off with a bang. Last year, EDC moved from L.A. to Las Vegas (it was too unhinged for L.A. to handle, apparently) and got things bumping in the deserts of Sin City. There, no doubt, sweat was shed by the bucket-ton and the bass was so proficient and intimidating it gave concussions. For the many insane among us, it all sounds deliriously entertaining as we look forward to this year’s event.

While this article will be mostly focused on shows throughout California, EDC is making the list because, really, it should still belong to us Californians if the universe were a fair and decent place. Have you heard of a DJ? Then the answer is yes, they are at EDC. Above and Beyond? Yes, at EDC. Kaskade? Yes, at EDC. Rusko? Yes, at EDC. Major Lazer? Yes, yes and yes. They’re all at EDC.

So if you like electronic music and raves and you’re not going, clearly you’ve missed the memo or have, in some crazy use of logic, prioritized finals and the preservation of your wallet. Does that make you a boring person? Yes! That is, unless you’re planning on some other festival instead.

Some other festivals include Outside Lands, which will be in San Francisco starting in early August and feature the likes of Stevie Wonder, Foo Fighters, Sigur Ros, Metallica, Justice and a bunch of other eclectic talents that we all have no business missing.

“I’m excited about Outside Lands,” said Linh Banh, a senior English and film studies double major. “I guess what I really like about Outside Lands is the venue. It’s not only in the middle of the coolest city on earth (besides L.A.), but it’s in the middle of Golden Gate Park, so it feels like you’re in the middle of a concert in a surreal fairy forest. Not to mention, their headliner this year is Sigur Ros, so it only adds to my dream of prancing around, sprinkling fairy dust everywhere.”

If you do enough of certain things, you too can feel like sprinkling fairy dust at Outside Lands (not an endorsement to do drugs). I will, however, endorse attendance to Outside Lands, which will be at the Golden Gate Park and guarantees to be a great weekend of varied musical talent. It’s also late in the summer, which gives plenty of time to recover from finals.

What else is on the musical horizon? Well, to name one special case, Red Hot Chili Peppers are back on tour and will be in L.A. and Oakland this summer. Quite simply, they’re immortal.

“I’m extremely excited to see Red Hot Chili Peppers in August,” said Jessica Huang, senior animal science major. “They’ve been one of my favorite bands for a really long time and they’re finally touring again. I can’t wait to hear some of their new album live, but I’m definitely the most excited about hearing the older classic tracks like ‘Scar Tissue’ and ‘Road Trippin.'”

Hard L.A. will also be hitting Los Angeles in early August. With Boys Noize, Skrillex, Bloc Party and Nero, to list a few, it too promises to demand your time and bodily commitment to the intense gladiatorial ring that is the rave dance floor.

Other festivals worth checking out? Identity Festival will be in San Diego in early September and Treasure Island in the San Francisco Bay in October (Yes, a long way off, but it doesn’t hurt to get planning).

JAMES O’HARA can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.