UC Davis law student to participate in Climate Ride California

Beginning from the Redwood Empire near Eureka, UC Davis third-year law student Michael Murza will endure a five-day, 320-mile bike tour from Sept. 9 to 13 before crossing the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge in the final leg of Climate Ride California.
“I have chosen to participate in Climate Ride California because it is one of the best opportunities to raise money and awareness for the important issues of sustainability and renewable energy,” Murza said in an e-mail. “Furthermore, I have joined the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) team, to whom 60 percent of my donations will go, because I truly believe in their mission.”
EDF’s mission, according to Murza, is to focus on market-based solutions to societal and environmental issues.
EDF’s site mentions the organization is guided by science and economics when it comes to discovering long-term solutions to protecting the environment.

“By using market forces to drive responsible environmental policy and behavior, EDF is dedicated to growing our economy while concurrently protecting our Earth,” Murza said.

As a law student geared toward environmental law, pro bono work and public interest, Murza said he heard about Climate Ride while interning at EDF this summer.

“I was a legal intern with the Climate and Air program, focusing mainly on the smooth implementation of California’s Cap & Trade program and other aspects of A.B. 32, California’s Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006,” Murza said. “One of my supervisors put together an EDF Climate Ride Team and I was ecstatic to be able to do all that I could toward reaching the goals of EDF and the Climate Ride.”

According to Climate Ride’s site, its mission is to inspire and empower citizens to work toward a new energy future. Each rider is expected to raise a minimum of $2,400 for the five-day event. To date, Murza has raised $446.

In preparation for the tour, Murza has been exercising daily by running two to five miles a day and doing weight training. Participants will have to ride 40 to 60 miles per day.

Murza said society is relying heavily on exhaustible resources to the point the supply of fuel is being diminished each day. He said converting natural renewable resources into the energy that powers society allows people to innovate without being concerned about exhausting such resources.

“The Climate Ride raises money for organizations that want to see our economy grow through sustainable and responsible behavior,” Murza said. “Organizations like EDF, Natural Resources Defense Council, etc. strive to encourage these behavioral changes through sound science and economic data.”

To support Murza, search for rider Michael Murza at www.climateride.org/rides/california.

CLAIRE TAN can be reached at city@theaggie.org.