City News Summer Digest

UC Davis researcher to cycle 585 miles for tree research

Aug. 6 — UC Davis urban forestry researcher Julia Bartens did a seven-day, 585-mile bike tour, Tour des Trees, through Oregon from Aug. 5 to 11. She raised about $3,097 in donations.

— Originally reported by Claire Tan

Linnea Lomax search effort continues

Aug. 6 — Volunteers, friends and family searched extensively for Lomax after her disappearance on June 26. She was scheduled to attend a full day of outpatient therapy, but walked out of the clinic and was not seen since. Her body was discovered on Sept. 7.

— Originally reported by Andrew Poh

City of Davis encourages neighborhoods to use Nextdoor

Aug. 13 — Nextdoor, a free, private utility network that allows for neighborhood and citywide communication, partnered with Davis to establish 33 neighborhoods. The city utilizes it as another communication mechanism to talk to residents. The network is currently active in over 4,000 neighborhoods across 48 states.

— Originally reported by Claire Tan

UC graduate programs may see a 35 percent tuition hike

Aug. 13 — On July 18, the UC Board of Regents decided to raise the supplemental tuition for most of its graduate school programs by as much as 35 percent. The UC system’s four nursing school programs will receive the brunt of the measure.

— Originally reported by Andrew Poh

Sierra magazine names UC Davis ‘Coolest School’

Aug. 20 — Sierra Club’s Sierra magazine ranked UC Davis as the nation’s coolest school in its sixth annual ranking of the greenest colleges. West Village, the largest zero-net energy residential community in America, caught the Sierra Club’s attention. In addition, the campus is vigilant about its purchasing power in buying things that are eco-friendly.

— Originally reported by Claire Tan

Local winery raises money for ag community families

Aug. 27 — The Esperanza Rising Foundation founded by Chip and Lynne Sundstrom donates all of its profits to the agriculture community in the Delano School District. Their winery, Sundstrom Hill Winery, also donates 10 percent of its profit to the foundation. So far, it’s raised a total of $40,000 in the last four years.

— Originally reported by Claire Tan

Fundraiser being held for UCD researcher Ben Davis

Sept. 10 — UC Davis Center for Health and the Environment researcher Ben Davis focuses on finding a treatment for chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, also known as emphysema, while struggling with his own illness, an autoimmune neurological degenerative disorder. Because of the difficulties Davis’s illness presents, his family and friends organized a fundraiser to help raise $150,000 for his care so that he can continue his research. The fundraiser began on Sept. 22, with a kick-off event at Sudwerk.

— Originally reported by Paayal Zaveri

CITY NEWS SUMMER DIGEST was compiled by CLAIRE TAN. She can be reached at city@theaggie.org.