Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the Sept. 27 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend senate meetings.Meeting called to order at 6:10 p.m.Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, present
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Justin Goss, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, present
Jared Crisologo-Smith, ASUCD senator, present
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Anni Kimball, ASUCD senator, absent
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, absent
Erica Padgett, ASUCD senator, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present
Patrick Sheehan, ASUCD senator, present
Yara Zokaie, ASUCD senator, absentPresentations
Two students from the UC Davis School of Law presented their campaign to pass California Proposition 34, which would replace the death penalty with life without the possibility of parole. After public discussion and questions from Goss, Bottoms and Gilbert, an e-mail sign-up sheet circulated for further information and support.

Appointments and confirmations
Because two members of the senate were absent, Kapur moved to delay confirmations until the next meeting. After debate, the senate rejected the motion and the confirmations continued.

Aaron Hsu was confirmed as chair of the Elections Committee.

Haley Proehl was confirmed as director of Project Compost.

Jacqueline Liu was confirmed as speaker of the Outreach Assembly.

Dan Caldwell was confirmed as director of Aggie Threads.

Public discussion
All senators, chairs and executive directors welcomed each other for the start of the next year.

Romana Norton, campus counselor with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and founder of food service unit The Pantry at UC Davis, discussed how the volunteer system of The Pantry was resulting in an under-utilization of the service.

Norton said that because the volunteers did not consist of a mixed group of gender, sexual orientation and race, many visitors to The Pantry became deterred. Goss proposed that Padgett author and introduce a bill that amends the introduction of the Pantry bill to include CAPS. The bill would aim to demonstrate that CAPS is permanently attached to The Pantry.

All senators agreed that the unit’s being underutilized and misrepresented was an issue that needed to be addressed and it was agreed that the discussion would continue outside of the meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 9:11 p.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu.

Editor’s note: This article was updated on Oct. 28 to reflect accurate information.

ADAM KHAN compiles the senate briefs. He can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.