Women’s soccer preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Pacific

Records: Aggies, 6-5-1 (1-1-0); Tigers, 3-7-1 (0-1-1)

Where: Knowles Field, Stockton

When:  Friday at 7 p.m.

Who to watch: The Aggies graduated a number of remarkable players last year and goalkeeper Maria Magana was one of them. This year, sophomore Taylor Jern has stepped up to guard the goal for UC Davis.

The Corona, Calif. native has done an impressive job this season, boasting a .836 save percentage. The Aggies are aiming for a slot in the Big West Championship game and Jern’s continued prowess in the net will help them achieve it.

Did you know? Last year’s match against Pacific was pushed into overtime after both squads were offensively stagnant for the entire second half. However, UC Davis managed to reign in the victory after scoring just three minutes into overtime.

Preview: Only one more game before UC Davis can come home to Aggie Soccer Field.

The Aggie squad has spent the last month on the road and they are ready to get down to business in Stockton before they can return to their home field.

“We’ve been doing our best on the road. We’re staying focused on each game as they come along but we’re ready to be home,” said head coach MaryClaire Robinson.

If UC Davis wants the bus ride home to be celebratory, they need to maintain the intensity they have had on both sides of the field.

Each of the Aggies’ losses this year has been within reach and the team is consistently outshooting their opponents. It is simply a matter of connecting with the back of the net.

The defense has been superb this season. They have kept opponents away from Jern and allowed the offense to have a lot of possession time. That possession time has allowed the Aggie offense to become the multi-dimensional threat they have been hoping to be.

Nine different players have scored goals for UC Davis this year and the team has combined to earn a .084 shot percentage this season.

If the Aggies can win this weekend they will be 2-1 in conference play, which will put them one step closer to a Big West Conference playoff berth.

— Kim Carr