Davis names new assistant city manager

The City of Davis has appointed Yvonne Pimentel Quiring as the new assistant city manager/administrative services coordinator to city manager Steve Pinkerton. Her work with the city began on Oct. 1.

“I am responsible for the finance for finance, budget and treasury components as well as human resources and the community services departments,” Quiring said.

According to a press release by the City of Davis, Quiring has worked 26 years in public service and worked as city manager at the City of Fillmore before coming to Davis.

“They [Fillmore] had a tremendous financial problem which was very difficult for the city council,” Quiring said. “The City of Davis is in a better financial position and has more resources to build and to deal with challenges.”

Quiring does not only have experience working with the city, but also with students. While working at the City of Fresno, Quiring formed partnerships with CSU Fresno and worked with the school to have interns come and learn about the city.

“I had a department with 200 people, so I worked with the social research lab and got students to come and work for the City of Fresno,” Quiring said. “We doubled the size of our code enforcement staff. We had students that were getting work experience and the city got out of it students who were very motivated and computer-savvy.”

Since she recently joined the city council, Quiring said the first order of business is to meet her co-workers.

“There are a lot of people under this function so I need to meet with the park staff, information technology (IT) staff and others to find out what projects they’re working on and get an idea of that,” Quiring said.

Her next step would be to connect with the manager and see what his vision and priorities are and move those departments in that direction.

According to Quiring, it is a deep process, but with 26 years of experience, it’s easy to adjust.

Before working for the City of Fillmore, Quiring worked as assistant city manager and as city manager for the City of Lathrop in San Joaquin County. She received a master of business administration from the University of Phoenix and a bachelor of arts degree for a sociology major and economics minor from CSU Fresno.

“I look forward to Yvonne not only providing day-to-day management of the city’s finance, human resources and IT divisions, but also utilizing her financial background to find ways to reduce [the] city’s expenses and employing her organizational skills to provide leadership for the department, the city organization and the community,” Pinkerton said in the press release.

Quiring is no stranger to Davis. Her father graduated from the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine and her two brothers graduated from UC Davis as well.

“I love Davis. I love the people, I love the city and it’s a really wonderful community,” Quiring said.                  

MEE YANG can be reached at city@theaggie.org.