News in Brief: WarnMe to undergo test tomorrow

WarnMe, UC Davis’ emergency alert system, will send out test alerts tomorrow, just before noon. The WarnMe system would be used in the event of a dangerous or risky situation on or near the UC Davis campus. The alert will be sent to students and employees on the Davis and Sacramento campuses and various other university facilities, according to the UC Davis News Service.

Contact information is being retrieved from employee listings from the UC Davis people directory, student mail addresses and personal contact information that was provided for the WarnMe system. This includes over 86,000 work and personal email addresses, almost 26,000 short message service (SMS) devices and nearly 950 pagers. The alerts will state that it is only a test.

WarnMe officials encourage the campus community to register with WarnMe or update their information.

“UC Davis WarnMe is part of the university’s comprehensive emergency management program and among the ways the university can alert students to emergencies and provide important information. The warnings UC Davis sends out are predominantly done through email and text.  Both of these avenues will ensure students receive emergency messages in a timely manner,” said Nick Crossley, manager at Emergency Management & Mission Continuity at UC Davis.

Students and university faculty can add or update their WarnMe information at warnme.ucdavis.edu.

— Muna Sadek