Provost plants trees with students

As part of The Fall Weekend of Service, Ralph J. Hexter, provost and executive vice chancellor, planted trees with students at Tree Davis on Saturday at 9 a.m.

The Fall Weekend of Service encourages students and faculty to volunteer for various large causes in the Davis, Woodland and Sacramento areas.

A weekend of service is held every quarter by The Community Service Resource Center (CSRC) on campus, a branch of the Internship and Career Center (ICC).

“[It’s] encouraging that someone so busy came out to help the community,” said Vina Nguyen, a first-year biological sciences major.

Past volunteer locations have included Albert Einstein Residence Center, Davis Farm To School, Putah Creek Council and the Sacramento Public Library.

“[You should] not just to live for yourself but live for others and impact on the future,” said Kathleen Furtado, a first-year animal science major. Furtado also said she thought that Hexter was “down to earth” and spoke with him about the proper way to plant trees.

Tree Davis, located at Fourth and J streets, aims to expand Davis’ urban forest and inspire student and community members to plant and care for trees. According to the Tree Davis website, over 8,000 trees have been planted since 1992.

The CSRC website provides a community service database, with over 500 opportunities with nonprofit agencies and enables students to search for various community service opportunities in close proximity to them. Students are also invited to speak with advisors about locating volunteer opportunities.  Advisors can be visited at South Hall Room 225 and more information on future weekends of service can be found on the ICC website at iccweb.ucdavis.edu/cs.

— Muna Sadek