Senate Brief

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the Nov. 1 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend Senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 6:14 p.m.

Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, present
Jared Crisologo-Smith, ASUCD senator, present, arrived late
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Justin Goss, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present
Anni Kimball, ASUCD senator, present
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, arrived late
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, present, left early
Erica Padgett, ASUCD senator, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present, arrived late
Patrick Sheehan, ASUCD senator, present

Presentations
Joe Kiskis, UC Davis Professor and Chair of the Academic Senate Special Committee on Athletics was  invited by ASUCD to speak about the Intercollegiate Athletics (ICA) and the need for student oversight in the ICA. He spoke about student involvement in the Athletics Advisory Committee  and the money allocation in physical education courses.

Appointments and Confirmations
Three candidates were confirmed to the Outreach Assembly. They spoke about interacting with the student body to increase involvement with ASUCD.

Two candidates were confirmed to the Entrepreneurship Fund (E-Fund.)

Consideration of old legislation
Senate Bill 121, authored by Sergio Cano, Internal Affairs Committee (IAC) commission chair,  makes the Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission (ECAC) Chairperson a permanent voting member of the ASUCD Scholarship Committee. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 130, authored by Cano, would establish General Programs and Grant Presentations prior to budget hearings. The bill was tabled and referred to the Gender and Sexuality Commission (GASC) and ECAC.

Senate Bill 15, authored by Renner Burkle general manager of KDVS, would allocate $36,000 from capital reserves to fund a radio tower for the campus radio station. The tower would enable the station to broadcast to a larger audience in Sacramento. The table discussed issuing a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Resolutions
Senate Resolution 2, authored by Sheehan, demands an increase in student influence and transparency in decisions that concern any appropriations to the ICA. The resolution was tabled.

Public discussion
Members of the public were concerned about the passage of Senate Bill 15, claiming that the KDVS radio station does not have mainstream music selections and the money that will be used to fund the radio tower could be better allocated.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. MUNA SADEK compiles the Senate Briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.