News in Brief: Union plans to protest at UC Regents meeting, Gov. Jerry Brown to attend

According to the UC Student Workers Union, student groups from various UC campuses will gather at the UC Board of Regents meeting tomorrow at the UC San Francisco Mission Bay campus to protest a possible fee increase for students in 61 UC graduate and professional programs, Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition (PDST).

The PDST action item on the meeting’s agenda, scheduled to be discussed during today’s meeting, will be postponed to a later meeting date at the request of Gov. Jerry Brown.

Brown will also be in attendance to address the fee increases and what the passage of Proposition 30 means for education.

The governor sits on the Board of Regents by virtue of his office and requested the postponement to allow him more time to gain understanding of the processes and policies required in setting fee levels, according to a Nov. 13 UC Office of the President news release.

United Auto Workers (UAW), an organization that represents various members of UC staff and students, plan to sleep-out on Koret Quad from today at 4:30 p.m. until tomorrow morning, when they will picket. According to a UAW2865 email, the group is aiming to “shut down the Regents’ vote” for fee increases on professional students.

It is not known if the postponement of the PDST vote will affect UAW2865 plans to protest.

“The super-rich have failed in trying to use their billions to kill Prop 30.  But to keep moving forward, we need to bring the crisis in public education into the streets and into the board room [sic] of the UC Regents’ who are also influential members of the super rich,” the email stated.

The meeting is scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m. and will include sessions for public comment. A full schedule can be found at regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/regmeet/nov12.html.

— Muna Sadek

1. […] The California Aggie reported that UC students and staff held a sleep-in demonstration Wednesday night at the UCSF Mission Bay campus, where the Board of Regents met today, and planned to picket during the meeting. Protestors wanted to “shut down the Regents’ vote” on a measure called Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition (PDST), which would implement a fee increase for 61 UC graduate and professional programs. According to The Daily Californian, students held a corresponding demonstration on the UC Berkeley campus yesterday. Demonstration activities included a general assembly and open university teach-out. The protests corresponded not only with the third day of the Regents meetings but also with Professor Robert Reich’s speech during the Occupy Cal movement on November 15 of last year. […]