Monday, April 22, 2024

Recipe: Cranberry-Pecan Baked Brie

Thanksgiving is only a week away, and I bet people are starting to look forward to the massive amounts of food they are going to consume. I picked baked Brie this week because, not only is it one of my favorite snacks, it is also versatile enough to go with any seasonal meal.
I adapted this one from a recipe I found on a blog called Chef In Training. I don’t like incredibly sweet foods, so I scrapped the maple syrup glaze.

Regardless of your Thanksgiving traditions, I highly recommend serving this next Thursday. It could be either an appetizer or a dessert, depending on how strong your sweet tooth is.

Same with the bread; I chose sourdough to cut the sweetness of the cheese, but if you wanted a less savory dish, a French baguette would also work really well.

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

1 8 oz. wheel Brie cheese
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup chopped pecans
1 sourdough baguette

Preheat oven to 350˚F.

Place the Brie in an oven-safe pan that has sides. Dump the brown sugar on top of the cheese and lightly pat so that the sugar sticks to and evenly covers the entire surface of the cheese, including the sides.

Put the cheese into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. While it’s baking, slice up the baguette.

Remove the cheese from the oven and sprinkle with the dried cranberries and pecans. Use a knife to spread the cheese onto the bread slices (make sure you get some cranberries and nuts on there!) and serve immediately. It tastes best when it’s still warm.

KATIE MORRIS looks forward to bringing you tasty, easy recipes every week that work with the typical college student’s time and budget. Contact her at kemorris@ucdavis.edu.