Women’s field hockey year in review

Two weekends ago, the women’s field hockey team ended their tumultuous season on a strong note with a satisfying 5-2 victory over Pacific. The team’s performance was a showcase of all of the hard work, time and heart they have put into each and every single one of their games, at home and on the road.

The Aggies end their season with a 8-12 overall record and 3-3 conference record. Their eight wins are the most for the program in four years while their second-place finish in the NorPac West Division was another team-best.

Against Pacific, five different players scored — with four goals in the first half as the women sealed their final victory in Northwood, Va. Senior Emily Mecke, junior Maggie Barry, junior Cloey LemMon, and freshman Jamie Garcia all scored in the first half to build a comfortable lead for the team. Senior Nadia Namdari ended the second half on a pleasant note with a goal to put the Aggies up 5-2.
Overall, six seniors played a huge role in the team’s win in the season finale. Three seniors scored while seniors Conley Craven and Danielle Harrington shut down the Tigers’ offense with five saves.
The Aggies had streaks of wins and losses both at home and on the road throughout the season. The team opened their season on a strong note, with a 3-0 victory against St. Louis.

This marked the third time UC Davis has won its season opener since restarting its varsity program two seasons ago, and its second straight shutout going back to the finale of the 2011 season. The team’s solid performance continued for another two games at home, against La Salle and Bryant University.

Unfortunately, the team’s performance took a dip on a road trip of eight games. The Aggie women lost six in a row, starting with a grueling game against Northwestern University. Subsequently, in several close games following a loss to UC Berkeley, the Aggies remained just one goal short of the victory. In a heartbreaker against Rider University, UC Davis lost 2-1 in overtime.
The Aggies had a way of coming back though, blasting Siena College 9-0 to snap a six-game losing streak. Senior Ashley Haight scored two goals while eight different players scored to end their East Coast road trip. UC Davis’ nine goals in the game against the Saints are the most since the program restarted varsity competition.
Pacific scored 4-3 in overtime and captured another victory at home, before falling on a five-game losing streak. Thankfully, however, the Aggies ended their season with a win against Pacific 4-1, clinching the No. 2 seed in the West, the program’s best finish thus far.

In their first game of the NorPac tournament, the Aggies fell 2-1 to the No. 4 seed Davidson, but were able to redeem themselves in their final game of the season.

UC Davis senior defender Casey Wollbrink was named to the All-NorPac Conference

West Division team for the third consecutive year while senior Emily Mecke was named to the All-Academic team.

Speaking of all of the seniors on the team and the outlook for next season, Campos had positive sentiments.

“Their hard work for the last four years is invaluable. Thanks to the foundation they have set, this program is headed in a great direction. I am so proud of this year’s team and we are ready to start the training for next year’s season,” Campos said.

VEENA BANSAL can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.