Women’s volleyball preview

Teams: UC Davis at Pacific
Records: Aggies, 16-14 (10-7); Tigers, 20-10 (9-9)
Where: Alex G. Spanos Center — Stockton, Calif.
When: Saturday at 7 p.m.
Who to Watch: Sophomore middle blocker Victoria Lee established herself as a legitimate force on this Aggies squad the last time these two teams matched up together.
The 6-foot middle blocker not only posted a career-high 10 blocks in the match, but she also had a team-best .500 hitting average to go along with seven kills.

Not only is this the final match of the season for the Aggies, but it will also be the final match in which Lee will play without heavy expectations on her shoulders.

Lee and fellow sophomore middle Katie Quinn have both established a precedent for themselves this season and with senior outside Allison Whitson graduating, the Aggies will be looking to fill that offensive void elsewhere. Look for solid play from Lee on Saturday night and for years to come.

Did you know? Attention Aggie fans. For those planning to attend the team’s season finale in Stockton this Saturday: Please be sure to make cheers as clear and specific as possible.

Things may get a bit confusing as sisters Allison Whitson and Kimmy Whitson square off against each other for the second time this season. As many are probably aware, Allison is a fourth-year senior and has been a key offensive contributor for all the years she has attended UC Davis. However, what most do not know is that her younger sister, Kimmy, is a freshman setter at the University of Pacific and is a rising star in their program.

As Allison finishes up her Big West career Saturday night, it seems only fitting that she face off against her younger sister and passes the torch on to yet another budding talent in the Whitson family.

Look for these two sisters to perform well against each other in a quest for bragging rights.

Preview: And then there was one. UC Davis will travel to the University of Pacific this Saturday night to play their final game of the season.

Last weekend marked a special moment for this year’s seniors, as they completed their final game within the friendly confines of the UC Davis Pavilion. However, this weekend will be a whole different animal, as this is, in fact, their final volleyball game as members of the UC Davis Aggies squad.

As the final game approaches, coach Jamie Holmes is filled with nothing but great memories and admiration for her three seniors — Allison Whitson, Caroline Mercado and Kaitlyn Plum.

“I can’t believe it. I am so excited and so proud of all their careers,” said Holmes. “Kaitlyn Plum has been at UC Davis my entire career. With her I think we are graduating such a mentally strong and competitive kid.”

Caroline Mercado has recorded over 1,000 career digs while at Davis, placing herself among elite company in the program’s long history.

“Caroline Mercado has really been the heart and passion of our team. In the offseason she is always establishing a strong work ethic as well as the excitement of getting better when no one is watching,” Holmes said.

As for Whitson, Holmes preferred to let the statistics speak for themselves.

“Whitson’s statistics will show you how much we are going to miss her. She has played in every single set since she has been here at Davis and has been our leading point scorer since freshman year,” Holmes said.

So on Saturday night, it will all come to a close. Three of UC Davis’ finest will wrap up their careers, leaving behind a legacy that won’t soon be forgotten.

— PK Hattis