Editorial: Hire with students in mind

Not many students are familiar with the Office of Student Affairs…. but they should be. The Office of Student Affairs is a group of different departments that are solely dedicated to “the student experience.”

Fred Wood, the vice chancellor of Student Affairs from 2007 to 2012, was replaced in June by an interim vice chancellor until Chancellor Linda P. B. Katehi can find a suitable permanent replacement. During this search, it is of utmost importance to maintain the legacy of high standards for this position.

Historically, the Office of Student Affairs has brought together multiple student services including admission, financial aid, registration, counseling, health, recreation, student government and special services. Under Wood, the Office of Student Affairs made significant improvements to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Intercollegiate Athletics, Campus Rec, Office of the Registrar and Student Health and Student Housing.

Wood’s platform was one of access and affordability. During his tenure, he helped introduce the self-funded Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP). As a transfer student himself, he strived to make the campus hospitable for other transfer students by introducing guaranteed housing for transfer students and a student center dedicated to transfers and veterans. He was also behind the major renovations to the ASUCD Coffee House and Segundo residence halls.

The position of vice chancellor of Student Affairs is one that comes with the responsibility of not only managing a large staff and significant budget, but also making life on campus for students as streamlined and pleasurable as possible.

We believe that Chancellor Katehi should continue the practice of recruiting from within when choosing the next vice chancellor of Student Affairs. The best candidates to represent the students at UC Davis will have been students here themselves, and have our best interests at heart.

The students of UC Davis should play an active role in the choosing of the next vice chancellor of Student Affairs. There are four town hall meetings on Dec. 3 in the Student Community Center that students can attend to voice their opinions. They are from 8:30 to 10 a.m., 10:30 a.m. to noon, 1:30 to 3:00 p.m., and 3:30 to 5:00 p.m.