Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the Nov. 29 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend Senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 6:13 p.m.

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, present
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Liam Burke, ASUCD senator, present
Armando Figueroa, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, present
Maxwell Kappes, ASUCD senator, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present
Felicia Ong, ASUCD senator, present
Alyson Sagala, ASUCD senator, present
Tal Topf, ASUCD senator, present

Appointments and confirmations
Anni Kimball was confirmed as director of Cal Aggie Camp.

Christopher Porter, Jackeline San tizo, Angelica Ramirez, Cristina Gutierrez, Mariah Watson, Nicholas Sanchez, Hiba Saeed and Olivia Brown were confirmed as members of the Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission.

Dahyoung Yoon, Francisco Lane and Spencer McManus were confirmed as members of the Internal Affairs Commission.

Consideration of old legislation

Senate Bill 25, authored by Patrick Sheehan, which would allocate $322.17 from Unrestricted Reserves for an iPod Touch for the Entertainment Council, was referred back to the Business and Finance Commission.

Senate Bill 26, authored by Justin Goss, would freeze funding for Grants and General Programs after the ASUCD Budget has been enacted. The bill was tabled.

Senate Bill 27, authored by Spencer McManus, co-authored by Goss, would require that Long-Range Plans be posted on the ASUCD website. McManus explained that Long-Range Plans are meant to help pass on an institutional memory to new commissioners. Bottoms mentioned that the Long-Range Plans are currently on the website but they are under the Bills section. He argued that this bill allows for more transparency. The bill was passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 28, authored by Spencer McManus, co-authored by Basile Senesi, Melanie Maemura, Lance Hackney and Sheehan, implements a new Long-Range Plan for the Bike Barn. The bill focuses on future plans for personnel, finance, environmental sustainability, external relations and internal relations, all with the outlook of the Bike Barn’s significant expansion. Tanzi Jackson, chair of the Environmental Policy and Planning Commission, said that receipt paper could not be recycled because it contains BPA, an industrial chemical, which would in turn show up in paper plates and textbooks made from recycled paper. The bill claimed that the Bike Barn recycles receipts.
External Affairs Commission (EAC) chair Emily Alice Gerhart proposed to re-refer the bill to EAC because she did not think the bill was urgent and she apologized for not catching it the week before. The bill was referred back to EAC.

Senate Bill 29, authored by Maemura, co-authored by Rebecca Sterling, Tessa Artale, Renner Burkle, Henry Chatfield, Lewis Menz, Karan Singh, Basile Senesi, Alexander Tavlian and Erica Padgett, allocates $310 from Senate Reserves to the “Special Projects” line item of the ASUCD President budget for the 2012-13 Unitrans Advertising Contract.

The bill would create a sublease system where space is given to units at a partially subsidized cost. Sterling said that this project was initiated a year ago, and was the startup to market more of the work that ASUCD does.

She said that marketing is an issue in the Association.

Internal Affairs Commission (IAC) Chair Cano said that IAC unanimously failed the bill. He said that a member thought it was not an effective use of reaching freshmen because they do not use buses. The table discussed whether there was a more accurate way of measuring the effectiveness of advertisements on Unitrans buses.

Former senator Andre Lee said that the bill is meant to set a precedent for a more permanent practice and a commitment to marketing as a principle. The bill failed 6-6-0.

Senate Bill 31, authored by Maemura, co-authored by Eric Evans and Anna Oh, would amend the 2012-13 AggieTV operating budget and adjust pay rates to multiples of seven. The bill passed unanimously.

Meeting adjourned at 11:43 p.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. JOANNA JAROSZEWSKA compiled the Senate Briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.