Wednesday, May 8, 2024

A cappella group hosts annual ‘ALotta Cappella’

UC Davis’ a cappella group The Liquid Hotplates will host “ALotta Cappella,” and will be joined by fellow a cappella groups The Spokes, The Lounge Lizards and The Afterglow, tomorrow evening. This year’s theme is “End of the World 2012.”

In this annual show, each group will perform music they have been arranging and rehearsing all quarter. The groups will show their unique artistic character through acoustically sung music, costume and choreography.

In an email interview, Jaimie Wu, business director of The Liquid Hotplates and a third-year exercise biology major, said the group will be singing pop covers and decorating according to theme.

Rachel Riley, vice president of The Spokes and a third-year English major, confirmed that their group will be debuting their new Top 40 Mash-up while sporting their signature pink and black attire.

As the years pass, ALotta Cappella evolves and audience members increase with its growing popularity as a UC Davis musical event.

“Since I’ve been in the group, I’ve seen a cappella music grow every year. The attendance at ALotta Cappella has also grown, so this year we moved to a bigger venue: Science Lecture Hall 123,” Wu said. “What’s most exciting for me this year is that we’ve been working more on incorporating choreography into our performance. I think adding choreography will add another dynamic to our performance.”

The a cappella groups will showcase their talent through their unique musical styles and characters. The Spokes is an all-female ensemble, while The Afterglow is all-male, and The Liquid Hotplates and The Lounge Lizards are co-ed a cappella groups. ALotta Cappella is to be a dynamic interplay of differing musical styles and genres — from Top 40 to R&B to Alternative.

ALotta Cappella takes place tomorrow at Science Lecture Hall 123 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $5, available at the Aggie Ticket Office, located at Aggie Stadium, and online at tickets.ucdavis.edu, or $7 at the door.

CRISTINA FRIES can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.