Arts Week

POETRY
Joshua McKinney
Today, 8 p.m., free
John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St.
Dr. Andy Jones, host and organizer of the Poetry Night Reading Series, is bringing Joshua McKinney to perform his work at the Natsoulas Gallery. A multidimensional man, McKinney not only has three award-winning books and hundreds of journalistic publications, he also holds the rank of sandan in both kendo and Mugai Ryu Iahyodo. McKinney currently teaches flash fiction, poetry and ecopoetics at CSU Sacramento.

MUSIC
Children of Uganda Benefit Concert
Saturday, 8 to 11:30 p.m., $10 suggested
N Street Cohousing, 716 N St.
N Street Cooperative Housing is putting on a benefit show to raise money for the school fees of orphaned Ugandan children. The featured artists are rock-cum-reggae groups Tha Dirt Feelin’ and Ital Souls, both family-friendly, good-vibes local bands. During the event, the cooperatives will also be selling snacks, drinks and Ugandan art.

ART/GALLERY
‘Organism’
Tuesday, 7 to 9:30 p.m., free
UC Davis Art Building (Old Nelson Gallery)
Organism is an interdisciplinary art show that fuses art, science and technology to create science-based art, including entomological insect art and visual and sound performances. The show is put on by the UC Davis Art Science Fusion Program, a collaborative whose aim is to intertwine art and science to enhance learning and innovation for all ages. Artwork will be displayed starting at 7 p.m., and performances will begin at 8 p.m.

Free Tomás Fundraiser
Tuesday, 6 to 9 p.m., free
UC Davis Technocultural Studies Building (Art Annex)
As a fundraiser for UC Davis student Tomás Matzat, local artists have donated their screen prints, photography and various other artwork for a live auction. Matzat, who was also a member of the “Davis Dozen,” is being fined over $5,000 for alleged vandalism charges and court fees. All proceeds from the silent auction will go towards the “Free Tomás” cause.

THEATER/MONDAVI
‘Dead Man’s Cell Phone’
Today until Sunday, 8 p.m., donations suggested
UC Davis Wyatt Pavilion Theatre
In the comedic play Dead Man’s Cell Phone, we see ordinary people’s lives unfold though the conversations that they have on their cell phones, as one woman struggles to find human connection in the technological 21st century. The play is being performed by the Institution for Exploration in Theatre, Dance, and Performance and is directed by UC Davis student Kevin Adamski.

‘A Christmas Carol’
Friday and Saturday, 8:15 p.m.; Sunday, 2:15 p.m.
$18 general, $16 students and seniors, $14 in groups of 10
DMTC Performing Arts Center, 607 Pena Drive
The City of Davis is putting on its very own production of the classic tale A Christmas Carol this upcoming weekend, perfect for the whole family or the few feeling nostalgic for their Christmases past. The holiday musical, directed and choreographed by Chris Congdon and Jan Isaacson, has been in production since the second week of November.

TANYA AZARI can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.