Male Athlete of the Quarter

Junior forward Alex Henry ended the season with an abundance of achievements on his soccer resume. Henry scored the game-winning goal to lead UC Davis to victory against their nemesis UC Santa Barbara. Subsequently, he was dubbed Big West Offensive Player of the Week, marking his first career Player of the Week honor.

“It means a lot to me to be the Male Athlete of the Quarter especially with all the sports going on at the same time,” Henry said. “Even though the end of this season was disappointing, I’m excited for what we will accomplish next season.”

Furthermore, Henry was named to the Soccer America Men’s Team of the Week after contributing to the team’s back-to-back wins over UC Riverside and Cal State Fullerton. In the 79th minute, Henry collected a clearance by the Titan defense and, from around 35 yards out, struck a low, hard shot into the lower right corner of the goal.

With that, Henry picked up his second consecutive Big West Offensive Player of the Week honor after scoring the game-winning goal against UCSB on Oct. 13. In front of season-high 1,344 fans, Henry lined up a direct free kick on the right wing, which curled into the upper left corner of the goal.

Henry’s athleticism and passion for the sport of soccer are reflected in each and every game he plays and his professional attitude is an inspiration to the rest of his teammates.

“Alex took on a new position this season,” said coach Dwayne Shaffer. “He played in a defending position but attacked at the same time, which is what we needed from him.”

— Veena Bansal