Dutch Bros. Coffee offers 24-hour service

Dutch Bros. Coffee, located on West Olive Drive, is quickly gaining popularity with students and Davis residents since its opening in November 2012.

Store manager Erin Backman said that business is going great so far and they are starting to see some regular customers and many more new ones each day.

The shop took over the space previously occupied by the Caffino coffee stand. It has multiple drive-thru windows and a walk-up window. It stands out from Starbucks, Peet’s Coffee, the ASUCD Coffee House (CoHo) and other coffee shops because it is open 24/7.

“It’ll be helpful to students during midterms and finals week since the other closest 24-hour coffee place is in West Sacramento,” said third-year electrical engineering major Gurprit Singh.

Backman said she was surprised that there are no other places in Davis that offer services like Dutch Bros.

People have had varied responses to the beverages at Dutch Bros. The general consensus has been positive.

“It was really tasty and the prices definitely aren’t bad, especially with all the promotions that they announce on Facebook,” said third-year biological sciences major Elaine Trang.

Each month the shop has promotions in which they offer special deals on certain days. For example, on Monday, all medium drinks were $2.

In addition to the standard drinks most coffee places serve, Dutch Bros. offers a few unique flavors. One such flavor is The Annihilator, which has espresso shots, chocolate macadamia nuts and their special kick-me mix.

Second-year undeclared major Pablo Maheda tried the ER 911 coffee, which has a mix of six espresso shots. He said he was hoping he wouldn’t have to actually call 9-1-1 because of the amount of caffeine the drink had. The drink only ended up making him very jittery.

Dutch Bros. also serves several flavors of smoothies, tea, frozen coffee drinks and energy drinks.
People agree that the shop is open in a prime location, and it is a common complaint by students that there are not enough late-night places in Davis. Even those who are not regular customers mentioned the benefits of Dutch Bros.

“Dutch Bros. is a good idea, and their customer service is great, but I can’t say that I’ve went out of my way to go to them,” said third-year international relations major Peter An. “I have to be in the area or happen to stumble upon them.”

PAAYAL ZAVERI can be reached at city@theaggie.org.