News in Brief: Symposium organized to address water laws

The Ninth Annual Water Law Symposium will be held Saturday, Jan. 26 at the UC Davis School of Law and the UC Davis Conference Center from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The event, titled “Beyond the Water Wars: Collaborative Management Solutions for a Shared Resource,” will feature expert discussion of controversies surrounding California’s water law.

Topics will also address the Klamath Basin agreements, California groundwater and drinking water contamination, state water markets, groundwater overdraft and salmon restoration science, according to the event news release.

Scheduled speakers include United States Rep. John Garamendi; Frances Spivey-Weber, vice chair of the State Water Resources Control Board; Art Baggett, former chair of the State Water Resources Control Board; Harrison “Hap” Dunning, professor emeritus at the UC Davis School of Law; and Justices Gregory J. Hobbs (Colorado Supreme Court) and Ronald B. Robie (Third District California Court of Appeal).

Registration for the event has ended. It is open to a limited number of students with a current school ID. People can be added to the waitlist by emailing waterlawsymposium@gmail.com. More information can be found at www.waterlawsymposium.com.

— Muna Sadek