Arts Week

FILM
Yolo County Film Society screening: Rear Window
Sunday, 7 p.m., recommended donation $2, all ages
Yolo Pleasure Dome (1401 Pole Line Rd)
The second film screening from YFS will showcase the classic 1954 thriller Rear Window, a perennial favorite for film experts and popcorn junkies alike. One of Alfred Hitchcock’s best, Rear Window features the dark goings-on behind the windows of an NYC apartment complex, those who see them and those who see them see. Coffee, tea and popcorn will be provided.

EC presents “Sample This: A Hip-Hop Documentary”
Saturday, 7 p.m., free, all ages
Sciences Lecture Hall 123
Entertainment Council presents a screening of a new documentary showcasing the story of a seminal 1973 funk track, “Apache” by the Incredible Bongo Band, which became one of the most-sampled songs of early hip-hop. See how one drum break influenced a generation of artists, from the first hip-hop DJs, MCs and B-Boys in New York City to contemporary electronic musicians across the globe. The film has been shown in numerous places, including a recent showcase at the Austin Film Festival. An interview with the director/writer and producer will take place after the show.

MUSIC
Shinkoskey Noon Concerts: Aleck Karis On Piano
Today 12:05 to 1 p.m., free, all ages
Yocha Dehe Grand Lobby, Mondavi Center
Aleck Karis is and has been a leading pianist in New York’s music scene over the past two decades and is currently a professor of music at UCSD. Come enjoy an hour of compelling music being held in conjunction with an ongoing exhibition in the Mondavi Center lobby entitled Drawing on Migrations.

The Davis Flea Market presents: Big Tree, Tha Dirt Feelin, and more
Sunday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., free, all ages
Central Park
Come peruse the Davis Flea Market as it celebrates its one-year anniversary. Live music will liven up the event with performances from Big Tree, an indie-pop quintet coming from the Bay Area via New York, and Tha Dirt Feelin, a Davis band that fuses elements of rock, hip-hop, old-school funk and soul. There will also be an appearance by AGAPE dance troupe, with more additions still to come.

Yo-Yo Ma and Kathryn Stott
Tuesday, 8 p.m., tickets available online or at Mondavi Ticket Office
Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center
See two acclaimed masters of their respective instruments in the grand setting of the Mondavi Center’s Jackson Hall. Renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma is accompanied by pianist Kathryn Stott for a performance consisting of a variety of classical pieces, including selections by Stravinsky and Brahms. The pair has been collaborating for nearly 30 years and has shaped a performance that is equal parts virtuosity and daring individuality. Limited availability.

ART/GALLERY
Structures, Signifiers and Society: People and Textiles
Tuesday, 12 p.m.
Design Museum, Cruess Hall
An exhibition of global ethnographic and contemporary textiles from the UC Davis Design Collection. Come see a fascinating display of varied and ingenious textile examples in a showcase that is equal parts history, art and anthropology.

THEATRE
National Theatre of Scotland: The Strange Undoing of Prudencia Hart
Wednesday to Friday, 8 p.m.; Saturday, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Vanderhoef Studio Theatre Pub
A lively evening of immersive theatre put on by a troupe of Scottish performers who bring their audience into the heart of the story in Prudencia Hart. It’s a tale “inspired by the Border Ballads — and delivered in a riotous romp of rhyming couplets, devilish encounters and wild karaoke.” Tickets are available online or at Mondavi Ticket Office. Availability may be limited.

— Andrew Russell