Senate Brief

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10
p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the Thursday, Jan. 24 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 6:14 p.m.

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, present
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Liam Burke, ASUCD senator, present
Armando Figueroa, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, present, left for an hour at 7 p.m.
Maxwell Kappes, ASUCD senator, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present
Felicia Ong, ASUCD senator, present
Alyson Sagala, ASUCD senator, present
Tal Topf, ASUCD senator, present

Presentations
Sterling and Carly Sandstrom said that the ASUCD Job Initiative will begin this year. They will work together with the chancellor’s office, the Cal Aggie Alumni Association and the Internship and Career Center to bring a two-part event that will target first- and second-year students to inform them about resources on campus, as well as upperclassmen who are looking for jobs outside of Davis. Among the resources offered will be resume building, interview practice and the chance to speak with alumni from various fields.

Appointments and confirmations
Joshua Rosen and Connie Tsai were appointed to the Student Health and Wellness Committee.

Joohi Kasliwal was appointed as Education Abroad Center (EAC) commissioner.

Danielle Burnstein was appointed as director of ASUCD Entertainment Council.

Unit director reports
Anni Kimball, director of Cal Aggie Camp, said that she created three new positions. She is currently focusing on outreach for applications, which will be accepted from Feb. 24 to Mar. 1. The website will be launched soon, and criteria for counselors and campers are currently being finalized.

Consideration of old legislation
Senate Bill 42, authored by Eric Renslo and introduced by Kappes, to amend the procedure to suspend a bylaw. Sterling vetoed the bill, saying it was unnecessary. Renslo explained that the bill strengthens and protects the bylaws. In an 8-3-1 vote, the veto was overridden.

Senate Bill 35, authored by Spencer McManus, co-authored by Justin Goss, changes the procedures for interviewing people who are re-applying for positions that they currently hold, so that re-applicants have a slightly different interviewing process than those applying for the position for the first time. Sterling vetoed the bill, saying that the same interviewing process should be upheld for each interviewee.
Though the veto stated that it could potentially be discriminatory, McManus said that if applicants already have the position on their resume then it is not discriminatory, but merely asking better questions.
In a 9-3-0 vote, the veto was overridden. Topf, Ong and Bottoms voted to uphold the veto.

Senate Bill 32, authored by Joshua Herskovitz, co-authored by Henry Chatfield, Melanie Maemura, Patrick Sheehan and Gareth Smythe, implements a long-range plan for Entertainment Council, including finding more workers with experience in event planning and building and retaining a large volunteer base. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 44, authored by Maemura, co-authored by Sergio Cano, Min, Sterling and Rylan Schaeffer, to clarify the purpose and practices of the Internet and Networking Committee (INC). In an 11-0-1 vote, the bill passed. Han was absent.

Senate Bill 45, authored by Smythe, co-authored by Kapur, requires the chairperson of any ASUCD committee to publicize the meeting times and locations for the ASUCD Senate and members of the public 24 hours prior to the start of the committee meeting. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 37, authored by McManus, co-authored by Kapur, requires that a unit’s adoptive senator to be invited to interviews for that unit’s director position. McManus said that this doesn’t change who is required to be there, only the composition of the interviewing committee. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 39, authored by McManus, to add missing senate representatives to Section 202 of the ASUCD Bylaws and clarify the terms of these representatives. The bill passed unanimously.

Public announcements
Sagala said she is working in collaboration with ASUCD Entertainment Council to bring about Single’s Awareness Night.

Meeting adjourned at 11:37 p.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu.

STEPHANIE B. NGUYEN compiles the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.