Monday, April 15, 2024

Paleo with a Purpose: Spicy Cocoa Cauli-Poppers

Super Bowl Sunday is coming up, and if there’s one thing I am thinking about, it’s snacks. What am I going to eat during the Super Bowl? I mean, don’t get me wrong, the football thing is cool too, but I’m a food blogger. Food. Is. Always. On. My. Mind.

It seems as though everyone is beginning to load up on chips, salsa, guacamole and seven-layer dip in a football-shaped bowl. But I’m going to stray away from these snacking norms and make my own homemade goodies while watching Kaepernick win it. (Yes, I said it… go Niners! No, I’m not from the Bay. I’m from Colin Kaepernick’s hometown, Turlock.)

Because cauliflower is cheap and highly versatile, it is the main component of my snacking this Sunday. But cocoa powder, really? On cauliflower? Unsweetened cocoa is usually used in hot chocolate, truffles or marble swirl cake — not on veggies.

Sounds like an abomination to put it on a vegetable — don’t worry that’s what I thought too until I tried it. Beware: these spicy cocoa cauli-poppers are very addictive.

1 head of cauliflower
1 ½ tbs. coconut oil, melted
1 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tbs. cayenne pepper
Black pepper, to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees (f). Cut up your cauliflower into bite-size florets. Clean well with warm water and dry completely. Toss florets with coconut oil in a large mixing bowl. Use your fingers to get the florets evenly covered in oil.

Toss in cocoa powder and use your fingers to coat evenly.

Place cocoa florets, in a single layer, on a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Sprinkle cayenne and cracked black pepper over florets.

Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes (or until cauliflower is soft).

Take them out and enjoy while warm.

DEMSINA BABAZADEH invites you to send your favorite recipes to undergo the Paleo treatment to dbabazadeh@ucdavis.edu