Doin’ it…on campus

Editor’s Note: The Environmental Policy and Planning Commission (EPPC) is an ASUCD commission responsible for researching environmental issues affecting the campus and its surrounding area, and providing recommendations for improvement. Doin’ It Green is a new feature which provides tips and ideas for being green.

Recyclemania is back! UC Davis is participating in Recyclemania’s 13th annual competition, and we will be competing against schools nationwide and in Canada to see how we rank against them in reducing, reusing and recycling waste. The competition officially kicked off on Feb. 3 and will come to a close on March 30. Log onto recyclemaniacs.org for updated scores throughout the competition.

All students, staff and faculty members on campus are considered participants, so everyone is encouraged to do their part in minimizing their waste. Every week, weights of paper, cardboard, bottles, cans and food service organics will be calculated and submitted to Recyclemania to track our progress.

The student staff of the Waste Reduction and Recycling (WRR) Program will be promoting the competition and focusing on improving our school’s recycling and composting efforts to help reach our goal of being a zero-waste campus by 2020. WRR will also coordinate with other student-run environmental organizations on campus, such as the Environmental Policy & Planning Commission, Campus Center for the Environment, Project Compost and the Aggie Reuse Store, to put on activities and events that will encourage everyone at UC Davis to be active contributors in the competition. Throughout the quarter, there will be crafts and activities at tabling events on the Quad, so don’t hesitate to stop by and check them out.

Keep an eye out for more news and events throughout Recyclemania. We will be updating Rocky Raccoon’s (the official mascot of the WRR) Facebook fan page to announce the dates of giveaways, movie nights, tabling events and chances to win prizes, so make sure to give him a like! For more information and ways to get involved, come to a tabling event, call WRR at (530) 752-7456 or visit sustainability.ucdavis.edu.