Aggie Digest

In the extremely busy world of UC Davis athletics, the Aggies had a variety of sports in action this weekend. Some sports are in the middle of their grueling season while others are just kicking off.

The men’s golf team participated in the Annual Amer Ari Invitational at Waikola Village’s Kings’ Course in Hawaii and finished 16th. This was the first tournament of the spring season for the Aggies, and though this was not a discouraging showing, this was not the best they could have played.

Senior Tyler Raber placed 60th in his first spring competition back after he red-shirted last season, while junior Matt Hansen led UC Davis with a 218 total to tie for 48th place.

The Aggies’ 887 over three rounds gave them a 16th-place finish behind some of the nation’s top teams, such as the winners of the tournament, UCLA and Washington, who tied with an 842 total.

UC Davis will co-host their next competition with Stanford, which will be at The Prestige at PGA West in La Quinta, Calif.

The UC Davis women’s water polo team is coming off a loss to No. 1 ranked Stanford, in which the Cardinal scored 15 goals to the Aggies’ four. UC Davis got three goals from senior Jessica Dunn and one more from sophomore Elsie Fullerton, but the Aggies couldn’t put much else together against visiting Stanford.

The Cardinal dropped in three, four, two and six goals in each of the quarters, respectively. The loss drops UC Davis to 1-5 on the season despite their No. 13 ranking.

The Aggies will return to Schaal Aquatics Center to host the Davis Challenge next weekend.

On the tennis courts, the UC Davis women’s tennis team traveled to Oregon for a battle of West Coast teams. The Aggies dropped the doubles point again, and couldn’t gain any momentum in the singles competitions.

The Aggies lost all their first sets except for at the sixth slot, where junior Nicole Koehly put together a 6-4, 6-3 victory. Fellow junior Melissa Kobayakawa’s match, in which she trailed 4-6, 2-3, resulted in a point for the Aggies because her opponent retired.

All the other UC Davis players lost in straight sets, resulting in a 5-2 loss to the 69th-ranked Ducks. UC Davis continued its tour in Oregon with a match against Portland on Sunday and will come back to a match much closer to home when it plays Sacramento State on Friday.

— Matthew Yuen