Best Bar

Either it was the luck of the Irish, or locals’ love of whiskey, because de Vere’s Irish Pub was voted the best bar in Davis. A Sacramento favorite since 2009, de Vere’s expanded to Davis in 2011, bringing along its unique pub atmosphere, a large selection of board games and an even wider selection of drinks.

“Pub hours are all the time,” managing partner Josey McCarter said. “The pub environment is one where anyone from a construction worker to a student, to a lawyer, to the president of the United States can come in and feel at home.”

In addition to a cornucopia of cocktails, de Vere’s boasts an Irish coffee, with cream so thick (and hand-whipped!) you could sleep on it. Though their specials are Irish-themed food and whiskey, throughout the week they offer international bar staples, like $2 tacos on Tuesdays and chicken wings on Thursdays.

Regulars are impressed by the warm, friendly atmosphere — dark, but not seedy like some other watering holes around town. It is this sort of comfort that McCarter credits with de Vere’s success.

“We wanted to include the students who don’t have a lot of money to spend and provide a good, clean, safe night. If they feel protected and safe and respected, they’ll come back,” she said.

Sophia’s Thai Kitchen was voted the second best bar in Davis. Sophia’s is known for their tropical theme and Tuesday night trivia. During the summer, guests can be found on the patio enjoying an indie music concert series.

A fine dining establishment during the day, third place winner Our House offers locally inspired drinks, as well as a bumping dance scene on Thursdays and Saturdays.

— Becky Peterson