Best Place to Exercise

Anyone trying to get swimsuit-ready for the quickly approaching Spring Quarter need not look any further than this year’s Best Place to Exercise, the UC Davis Activities and Recreation Center (ARC).

UC Davis students can enjoy the ARC at no additional cost, while staff, faculty, alumni and community members may purchase a membership.

The ARC offers a range of fitness and group exercise classes from cycling and cardio kickboxing to yoga. There are basketball courts, an indoor track, four-wall courts for racquetball and an indoor climbing wall. For those who prefer to work out independently, there are plenty of cardio machines and weights to use.

“We pride ourselves on having excellent customer service and top-notch professionalism. When you walk in this place and see these bright, shining faces, it helps put you in the mood to have a great fitness exercise,” said Tyler Scudero, informal recreation coordinator at the ARC.

Not only is the ARC a place to get in shape, you can also meet other like-minded people, make friends or catch up on your favorite shows with the many state-of-the-art cardio machines that feature TVs.

“I really like the ARC because it’s a great facility on campus, and there are a lot of fun, interesting people in there. I like being able to work out and watch ‘The Bachelor’ at the same time,” said Ryan Fox, a fourth-year biopsychology major.

The atmosphere of the ARC extends beyond providing a welcoming place for those who utilize its services, but the employees, especially the students who work for Campus Recreations, are able to build upon their professionalism.

“As employees and staff members, we pride ourselves on student development and we believe that at the department of Campus Recreation [and] Unions, our level of professional development that we provide to our students is top-notch,” Scudero said .

The Arboretum and the Greenbelt serve as second- and third-place for this category, and are perfect for those who prefer an outdoor exercise.

— Sasha Cotterell