Best Place to Get a Haircut

Most UC Davis students understand what a nice haircut looks like, and eventually need to scope out the best local barbershops to trim their locks. This year, the university population has spoken, choosing Cobalt Salon and Gallery as the best place to get a haircut in Davis.

The salon, located in the downtown Davis Mansion Square Center on 132 E St., Suite 350, has been open for four years under the ownership of master stylist David Martin. This is the first year that the gallery has even been nominated for a Best of Davis category.

“I think it’s awesome, we are really happy,” Martin said. “It’s really nice to know that we are making an impact, and I’m glad that we are getting more recognition.”

With three extremely experienced stylists, including Martin, Tenaya Freitas and Sharon Jackson, Cobalt Salon and Gallery has attracted clients for many reasons since its opening.

“Our stylists are extremely experienced, and I’ve been a stylist for over 25 years,” Martin said. “We know how to treat people, we just love dealing with people.”

Martin also said that many others enjoy going to the salon because of its hip environment.

“The salon is very modern and fun, and there is always some new inspirational art,” Martin said. “We really believe in 100 percent client satisfaction. So we are super friendly and have no drama.”

In addition to cutting and styling hair, the salon offers education classes in hairstyling, taught by stylists from various hair product companies. Some study topics discussed in the past include hair color and men’s grooming.

Overall, Martin said the salon is dedicated to helping people in the Davis community with any hair needs.

“If you want one of the best hair experiences in town, come see us and you will be pleasantly surprised,” Martin said. “We just love what we do and are really good at it.”

For other spots to get a new ’do, check out the Aggie Barber Shop, which came in second place, and Avant Garde Studio, which came in third.

— Ritika Iyer