Best Place to Take a Date

Editor’s Note: Each year we ask our readers to pick their favorite downtown dives, study spots, bargain meals… everything. Hundreds voted over the two-week voting period, and here are the results: The Best of Davis.

Dating in college can be a complicated endeavor. At a time when many students are sharing rooms with boisterous roommates and maintaining a Cup-of-Noodles kind of budget, it helps to have a quiet and inexpensive place to get away from it all on a date made just for two. For many students, that perfect place is the peaceful and scenic Davis Arboretum.

One stroll through the Arboretum on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and it’s no surprise the beautiful getaway right in the middle of campus was named the best place to take a date. There is a seemingly endless amount of greenery, the calm water and many secluded spots for couples to find a little privacy and escape the hustle and bustle of the outside world.

The Arboretum was founded in 1936 and has since been home to a wide array of vegetation, wildlife and many cozy couples throughout the years.

“I would definitely take a date here. It’s a beautiful place,” said Robel Ghile, a first-year mechanical engineering major who was taking in the sunshine at the Arboretum the other day.

Aside from its stunning scenes and quiet atmosphere, the Arboretum has been providing a cost-free date spot for starving college students for years.

Especially now that Davis is experiencing some out of season sunny days, couples are flocking to the Arboretum to enjoy the sunshine, scenery, and of course, each other’s company.

Downtown Davis and the Davis Farmers Market came in second and third, respectively, for date hotspots.

Whether you’re on a first date, celebrating an anniversary or just taking a stroll with a special friend, the Arboretum is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for couples looking for a place to spend some quiet time together.

– Lauren Mascarenhas

1. I love useful little articles like this one.

Some other suggestions for locations:

*Most anywhere along the Davis Bike Loop, except for the North Davis part (too much residential/street, not enough secluded nature). In my opinion, the most beautiful parts are in East Davis, with a plethora of small fields and great lanes of trees.

*Southeast “corner” of campus, including the area behind Dutton Hall, as few people usually hang out around there.

*North Davis Green Belt.