Best Place to Take Your Family

The various stalls, the fresh produce and the enticing scent of cooked food and kettle corn draw in students and families alike. People new to the Davis Farmers Market quickly learn to appreciate its charm and invite their friends or family to partake in the experience. As such, the Davis Farmers Market is the number-one choice for families to visit.

One of the many people responsible for the Davis Farmers Market, Randii MacNear, executive director of the market, oversees a booth selling shirts, woven baskets and other goods promoting the market.

“I have students tell me that the Farmers Market makes them feel less lonely,” MacNear said. “When you come here it feels like a big family. There’s nothing bad here. It’s a stress-reducer. They aren’t going to be in a dark room [but are] outside, eating good food and creating familial ties.”

Whether the Farmers Market is selling at the Silo or Central Park, both locations are convenient for students and provide a needed break from stress.

“I’ve been doing this for thirty-two years and I still like it,” MacNear said.

On Wednesdays and Saturdays, rain or shine, the market is located in Central Park, taking the entire block between C and D streets, and Fourth and Fifth streets.

The market is open on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and on Wednesday from 2 to 6 p.m. during winter. The rest of the year, the Wednesday market is from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. During Fall and Spring quarters the market is located at the Silo on Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

“We’ve had [past] students come back here with [their] families,” MacNear said. “[They] share the values they experienced in their youth.”

Taking second place is the UC Davis Arboretum, with Picnic Day day taking third.

— Victoria Trang