CD review: ‘Til Your River Runs Dry

Eric Burdon is no stranger to rock n’ roll; nor are his fans. After all, he was a member of The Animals — yes, those Animals who gave the world the classic “House of the Rising Sun.” Since that time, Burdon has continued to release albums during his impressive solo career. His latest, ‘Til Your River Runs Dry, continues Burdon’s tradition of infusing rock with a shot of the blues.

‘Til Your River Runs Dry is an album filled with soulful lyrics and clockwork beats. Despite being in his 70s, Burdon is still able to croon with the best of them, his rough voice evoking images of an older time. Listening to “Bo Diddley Special” or “Invitation To the White House,” one can easily imagine Burdon singing in a smoke-filled bar. The first track, “Water,” is easily the most fast-paced of the album, kicking things off, while a cover of Bo Diddley’s famous “Before You Accuse Me” closes the album.

Any fan of The Animals shouldn’t have to be told to check this one out. If you like rock, blues and everything in between, give Burdon’s latest a listen. The man may be old, but as ‘Til Your River Runs Dry easily proves, Burdon is still alive and kicking with the best of them.

Check out these tracks: “Water,” “Old Habits Die Hard, “Invitation To the White House”

For Fans of: The Animals, Eric Clapton, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan

BRETT BUNGE can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.