Senate Brief

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the Feb. 14 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend Senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 6:10 p.m.

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, present
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Liam Burke, ASUCD senator, present
Armando Figueroa, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, absent
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, present
Maxwell Kappes, ASUCD senator, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, present
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present, late
Felicia Ong, ASUCD senator, present
Alyson Sagala, ASUCD senator, present
Tal Topf, ASUCD senator, present

Appointments and confirmations

Justin Grove and Linh Nguyen were confirmed to the Gender and Sexuality Commission (GASC).

Public Discussion

Aref Aziz and Justin Goss spoke to the table about their involvement at the capitol and in lobbying. Aziz expressed a willingness to help members of the table in initiatives, such as increasing voter turnout. He also urged the table to be proactive in rallying students for these causes.

Goss thanked members of the table for their involvement with the Association.

Consideration of Old Legislation

Senate Bill 48, authored by Eric Renslo, would implement a long-range plan for Lobby Corps. Lobby Corps aims to influence government officials with students’ views and give students political experience.

The bill was tabled.

Presentations

Sterling spoke about the UC Davis Jobs Initiative event, to take place on Feb. 26. The event will serve to provide students with tools to obtain jobs.

She explained that the event will also present information to students on finding jobs within the Association and that she would like to make members of the table official hosts of the event.

Public Discussion

Sagala said that the Internal Affairs Commission (IAC) did not pass the motion to hold a closed session regarding concerns about the Elections Committee using an executive candidate’s birth name, even though the candidate indicated their preferred name on the ballot.

In a Feb. 7 Senate meeting, Lewis said that the committee’s reasoning for not changing the name was because of Bylaw 405E, which requires candidates to use the name printed on their student ID. During that meeting, the table passed a motion to hold a closed session. Only senators may be present during closed sessions.

Sagala said that IAC did not pass the motion for a closed session.

Rylan Schaeffer, chair of the Business and Finance Commission, asked why IAC did not see the necessity of a closed session. He also said that the release of a meeting summary differs from the release of minutes, as a summary would not provide detail on members’ votes.

Chucha Marquez, chair of GASC, said that issues that concern IAC are valued more than other gender and sexuality-related topics. He also said that he believes the chair of the Elections Committee should be involved in the closed session.

Closed Session

Meeting adjourned at 9:40 p.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. MUNA SADEK compiled this Senate brief. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.